Honey Wheat Pizza Dough Recipe
When it comes to food, I have two great loves: that which fresh and healthy, and pizza. While the two may seem intrinsically at odds, they don’t have to be.
We grow a lot of our own vegetables and herbs which make perfect pizza toppings and I’ve found an amazing honey wheat pizza crust recipe that is not only easy to prepare but delicious as well. Additionally, using whole wheat flour is a healthy alternative to traditional white flour.
- 21/2-3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package regular dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup warm water, 120-130 degrees
- Mix 1 cup of flour, salt, and yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- Add honey, olive oil, and warm water and beat until just combined.
- Stir in just enough remaining flour until dough is soft, no longer sticky, and leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Place dough on a floured surface and knead for five minutes
- Roll dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover loosly with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Punch down and toss dough to form your crust. For a thick crust, allow another 30 minutes of rise time. For a thin, back immediately.
- Partially bake crust 10 minutes in a 375 degree oven and then add toppings.
- Bake an additional 15-20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.