- Food and Cooking
Want to Rate this Hub? Do it here.
Horchata- Sold in Stores
Horchata is also sold in almost every supermarket and most small or big Mexican stores. The ones from the stores all taste different, but when it is home-made, you can control all of the flavors, textures, and sweetness.
Horchata comes in ready-to-make packs. Klass is a company that makes powders for different hispanic refreshments such as Horchata.
Many ways to make Horchata
Horchata has been around for centuries, but the best thing about it is that there are different varieties of recipes for making it. I want to show you two extremely simple ways to make it!
- 2 cups Almonds, powdered
- 3/4 or 1/2 cup (your preference) Brown sugar
- 4 cups Milk
- 2 sticks or 3 tablespoons Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Take your almonds in a freezer bag, and seal with most of the air out. use a mallet, hammer, or coffee cup to crush the almonds into a powder Or Instead of Almonds and Whole Milk, substitute the milk and almonds with Almond Milk
- Mix all the ingredients in a pitcher. Let it set overnight in the refrigerator or blend ingredients together, let it sit for an hour in the refrigerator.
- If you don't like granules of almond in your drink, use a sieve to remove the excess.
- Serve it up Hot or Chilled.
1. Add the rice, hot (boiling) water and 1 cinnamon stick in a heat-proof container and let it sit for 2 hours. Let it cool off naturally- do not refrigerate.
2. Drain the rice of the water and take cinnamon stick out (or gently rinse the cinnamon powder off the rice).
3. Place the milk, rice, new cinnamon stick or cinnamon powder, and other ingredients in a pitcher and refrigerate over night.
4. Place all ingredients in a blender the next day.
5. Serve it up cold or hot.
- 2 cups, Whole Milk, or Almond Milk
- 1 cup, White Rice
- 2 cups, Hot water (boiling)
- 2 sicks or 2 tablespoons, Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon, Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups, Brown Sugar
If you want the milk to taste thicker...
If you want the milk to taste thicker, substitute one of the cups of milk for half-&-half.
There are numerous ways you could used the Horchata Recipes.
A Little Spanish Lesson Using the Ingredients Listed Above
Rice- Arroz (ahr-rohz)
Cinnamon- Canela (kah-neh-lah)
Vanilla- Vainilla (v(b)ah-ee-knee-yah)
Hot- Caliente (kah-lee-en-teh)
brown- Marron (mahr-rohn)
sugar- Azucar (ah-zoo-cah-rr)
almond- Almendra (al-men-drah)
pure- Puro (pooh-roh)
powder- Polvo (pole-voh)
Water- Agua (ah-wah)
Horchata Ice Cream
1. Follow the instructions above.
2. Place the liquid in a container that will not crack in the freezer, or just place in a freezer baggie.
3. Seal the bag with a little bit of air in the freezer bag and place in the freezer.
4. take the bag out and loosen up the ice crystals every half hour by squeezing the bag a few times.
5. do this for half an hour until it is frozen to your liking.
Horchata Popsicles or Horchata Ice for Horchata Drink
Follow the instructions for one of the recipes, but instead, either fill up an ice tray or Popsicle rack. YUM!
You can use the ones in the ice tray for the Horchata you will be drinking instead of regular ice, which will water-down your beverage.