Hors D'Oeuvres on the Fly
Have you ever been short on ingredients, ideas, or time before a party? Here are some suggestions for what to serve at or bring to a party on short notice.
1. Goldfish crackers make a great party mix, especially when you combine different flavors together in the same snack bowl (this blogger recommends cheddar and pizza flavors but any of your favorites will do).
2. Vegetable Thins and cream cheese form another tasty combination. The crackers have their own vegetable seasoning, and the cream cheese serves as a dip. In lieu of veggie platters (which have a shorter shelf life to begin with) or potato chips and dip, you might want to give this a try.
3. If you really don't have time to go to the store and are out of a certain condiment, you might be able to substitute another you might have on hand. For instance, if you're out of soy sauce you can use mustard if you find it an acceptable option for getting past a bland dumpling wrapper. Also, if you don't have either mustard or ketchup but feel the need to dress up a hot dog, you could try mild salsa or nacho cheese sauce instead.
4. When in doubt, you can try putting some ingredients inside a taco shell. Hard or soft shell is really up to you, but you can put almost anything inside a taco these days and it'll taste great.
5. Do you have leftover cake frosting in your fridge that you don't know what to do with but didn't want to throw out anyway? You can spread it on the back of a saltine cracker (the back being the unsalted side) and add toppings like trail mix or cereal.
I have personally tried all of these and found them to be acceptable if not delicious. If any of these suggestions sounds like a viable idea for your needs, I would encourage you to try it yourself.