Healthy Bagel Recipes With Wheat and Non-Wheat Flours
Bagel Without Wheat
Wheat Free and Healthy
Some people experience an allergy to wheat products and others enjoy a change from wheat occasionally. For these purposes, below is a bagel recipe that requires no wheat at all. This recipe is wheat free, gluten free, nut free, and vegetarian, but not vegan.
- Recipe makes 6 to 8 bagels.
- Time needed for dough rising is 30-60 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425 F or 224 C
- 1 Cup Rice Flour - found in Asian groceries
- Extra rice flour for dusting countertop and yuor hands
- 1 Cup tapioca flour - found in speciality stores and large supermarkets
- 2 Tbsp powdered milk
- 1¾ tsp xanthan gum - found at cooking specialty stores and large supermarkets
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- ½ Cup warm water for use with the yeast
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1Tbsp dried yeast
- 2 Tbsp butter or a substitute
- ¼ Cup hot water
- 2 Large sized egg whites
- 1 tsp white sugar with 1 gallon of hot water for coating the bagels
- Put the first six ingredients - rice flour, tapioca flour, powdered milk, xanthan gum, salt, and sugar - into a mixing bowl or food processor bowl.
- Dissolve the butter in the hot water by stirring well until dissolved.
- In another bowl, place the second measure of warm water and add the sugar, stirring to dissolve it. Sprinkle the yeast on top and it will bloom in a few minutes.
- Consider the dry ingredients again -- Blend them with the mixer on a low setting or carefully by hand. Next, add the margerine and mix. Then add the egg whites and the yeast mixture and mix by hand or on Low setting for an electric mixer.
- The dough should be thick -- If not, add more rice flour a little at a time, mix, and check to see if it will hold its shape. If the mix is too thick, add spoons of water to thin it to the desired thickness.
- Use a high-speed mixer setting and beat the dough for 4 to 5 minutes. You can still do this with a wooden spoon by hand, however. Many people do so.
- Line two baking sheets with cooking parchment or lightly sprayed oil or cooking spray with a dusting of rice flour over the spray orparchment.
- Divide the bagel dough into 8 equal sections, or into 6 larger bagels. With greased hands, roll them into balls, flatten them, and poke a hole in the middle. Widen the hole very much or it will close up in cooking.
- Put the bagels on the baking sheets, cover loosely with plastic, leave in a warm site until doubled -- 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the yeast and the weather.
- To produce a crisp and shiny coating to your bagels, bring a saucepan of water to boiling and dissolve 1 measured teaspoon of sugar in it. When the water is at a hard rolling boil, drop a bagel into it carefully. Time it for 30 seconds and turn it over in the water for another 30 seconds. Take it out and drain in with a slotted spoon onto your baking sheet.
- After the whole batch of bagels have been boiled, lay them on their baking sheet in the oven and bake them for 20 - 22 minutes. You will smell their delicious aroma when they are finished cooking. Check them early to ensure no snags in the cooling process. I begin at 15 - 18 minutes and check every few minutes - they certainly do not smell good when burnt.
- Remove the bagels from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before serving - let them rest on the pan a minute and transfer them to a serving plate. They may also be toasted after cooling for additional flavor.
Russian Song of One Who Sells Bagels on the Street Corner
Serve Bagels With Your Favorites Spreads:
- Small-curd cottage cheese with some chives and/or cilantro and garlic added as a spread. Sunflower seeds are good in this as well.
- Thick yogurt spread or dip
- Cream cheese, plain or with herbs and onions
- Smoked salmon
- Clam dip
- Low-fat margarine
- Reduced-sugar or no-sugar-added jam or jellies
- Some people like meat or vegetable pate, although it has more calories than the above treats.
Bagel With Wheat Flour
- Makes 12 bagels or 24 mini bagels.
- Use all purpose or whole wheat flour, or half and half.
- A 3-step cooking process is used - broiling, boiling, and baking.
- 4.5 Cups flour, divided into 1.5 Cups and 3 Cups
- 2 Packets of active dry yeast
- 1.5 Cups warm water (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 3 TBSP white sugar
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1 TBSP sugar
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your mixer, add 1.5 cups of flour and the yeast.
- Combine the warm water, 3 Tbsp sugar, and the salt.
- Pour the water mixture over flour mixture slowly.
- Beat at the low-speed mixer setting or by hand for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl often.
- Beat 3 minutes on high speed, or continue to beat by hand.
- Stir in as much of the rest of your flour as possible and mix.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured countertop or bread board.
- Knead in more flour to the point that you have a rather stiff dough. Keep kneading until dough is elastic in nature, for about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover the bowel with a clean towel and let the dough rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 12 sections and roll into balls (24 for mini-bagels).
- Punch a hole in the centers of bagels and stretch then to about 2 inches wide.
- Place bagel dough rounds on a cooking-sprayed baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap for 20 minutes rising time in a warm place.
- Broil bagels 5 inches from thfire or element in your oven for about to 2 minutes each side, but tops should NOT be brown yet.
- Mix 1 gallon of water and 1 Tbsp of sugar in a pot, heat to boiling, and immediately reduce heat to medium.
- Cook the bagels in the water, 4 at a time (double for mini-bagels), about 3.5 minute each side.
- Remove from water and place on cooking sprayed baking sheet again.
- Bake at 375 F for 25 - 30 minutes (less time for mini-bagels).
- Herbed Bagels: Prepare bagels, add 2 teaspoons marjoram or 1 teaspoon dill weed or 1 teaspoon tarragon to the flour and yeast mixture. Alternatively, 1 teaspoon cilantro is also good for a different taste as well and dried chives and cilantro together are nice.Other herbs or species amy also be used.
- Parmesan Bagels (any grated cheese is good): Prepare bagels as above except stir 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese into the flour & yeast.
- Onion Bagels: Cook 1/2 cup chopped onion or shallots in 3 Tblsp butter or margarine until tender. Brush onto bagels after first 10 minutes of baking is completed and finish baking.
Something Delicious to Do With a Bagel
Another Suggestion From Kook to Cook - Pastrami Bagel
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS