Hot Buttered Rum
Rum for Colds
With the cold and flu season about to begin I will be stocking up on Kleenex and rum. Yes rum. I found the following drink recipe in my handy dandy bartenders guide. Whenever my husband or I get a really bad cold, you know the kind where you cannot seem to get a good nights sleep, where you're tossing and turning all night long. Drink this about an hour before bedtime and I promise you that you’ll sleep like a baby.
What you will need for Hot Buttered Rum
Ingredients for two large mugs
- 4 oz. dark rum (I use Appleton Estate Jamaican Rum but any dark rum will do the trick)
- 16 oz. or 2 cups of apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 -12 whole cloves
- 1 oz. of lemon juice
- 2 tsp. butter
- 1 medium saucepan
- 2 large mugs
Instructions for Making a Hot Buttered Rum
- In a medium sized saucepan pour in your apple cider and lemon juice.
- Add the cloves and cinnamon sticks bringing to a boil.
- Pour into a large coffee mug through a strainer to catch the cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- Add the rum, top with butter and place one cinnamon stick into each mug.
- Sit, sip, relax and enjoy your “Hot Buttered Rum”.
Of course you do not need to have a cold to drink this yummy beverage as it can be enjoyed at anytime of year, whether you are feeling sick or well.
Like Rum? Please Rate
© 2011 Susan Zutautas