Hot Buttered Rum
Rum for Colds
With the cold and flu season about to begin I will be stocking up on Kleenex and rum. Yes rum. I found the following drink recipe in my handy dandy bartenders guide. Whenever my husband or I get a really bad cold, you know the kind where you cannot seem to get good nights sleep, where you're tossing and turning all night long. Drink this about an hour before bedtime and I promise you that you’ll sleep like a baby.
What you will need for Hot Buttered Rum
Ingredients for two large mugs
- 4 oz. dark rum (I use Appleton Estate Jamaican Rum but any dark rum will do the trick)
- 16 oz. or 2 cups of apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 -12 whole cloves
- 1 oz. of lemon juice
- 2 tsp. butter
- 1 medium saucepan
- 2 large mugs
Instructions for Making a Hot Buttered Rum
- In a medium sized saucepan pour in your apple cider and lemon juice.
- Add the cloves and cinnamon sticks bringing to a boil.
- Pour into a large coffee mug through a strainer to catch the cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- Add the rum, top with butter and place one cinnamon stick into each mug.
- Sit, sip, relax and enjoy your “Hot Buttered Rum”.
Of course you do not need to have a cold to drink this yummy beverage as it can be enjoyed at anytime of year, whether you are feeling sick or well.