- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Chocolate Desserts
Hot Fudge Spoon Cake
You need a spoon to eat this
Hot Fudge Dumplings
Easy and quick to make this recipe creates warm chocolate dumplings that are light and moist floating in a hot fudge sauce.
Best of all from start to finish you can have it on the table in a little more than an hour,
One of Mom’s best recipes, handed down for generations, it has been a family favorite for many years and always gets rave reviews from company and church suppers. Now I have turned it into a photo recipe, easy and quick to make.
This is a chocoholic dessert for the family and company.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Gather Equipment:
- 2+1/2 quart casserole, 2 quart sauce pan, mixing bowl
Ingredients for the Dumpling batter
Ingredients for Dumpling batter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted, but not hot
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Sugar
- 6 Tbs Cocoa
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour (Or cake flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup milk
Batter will be fairly stiff
Preparation of dumpling batter:
• Sift flour with cocoa powder, salt and baking powder so it is well blended
• Melt butter DO NOT make it hot, just barely melted.
• Blend the egg with the melted butter, vanilla and sugar
• Add the milk and the flour mixture alternately to the liquid mixture
• Mix only until blended, over mixing makes tough cakes
• Set this aside while you make the sauce
Ingredients for the Fudge Sauce
Ingredients for chocolate sauce
1. 1-1/2 Cups Sugar
2. 4 Cups Water
3. 3/4 Cup Cocoa
4. 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
5. 1/2 teaspoon salt
Spoon the batter into HOT sauce
Prepare sauce and finish:
• Place Sugar, water, cocoa, salt and vanilla in a 2 to 3 quart saucepan.
• This will bubble up quite a bit so it may boil over in a pot that is too small
• Bring to a boil and lower the heat, simmer for 3 minutes, Stir frequently
• Pour boiling sauce into the 2+1/2 quart casserole
• Drop spoonfuls of batter into the hot sauce.
• It is important that the sauce be very hot, this starts the batter cooking.
• Place casserole in the oven at 325 degrees,
• Bake until the cake is done and the sauce has thickened, 20 minutes or more.
• Insert a toothpick into the thickest cake, if it comes out clean they are done
• Serve warm and enjoy