Hot and Spicy Chunky Tomato & Jalapeno Preserves.
Ready to eat or can
It's been a while since...
CHUNKY TOMATO & JALAPENO PRESERVES. It's been a while since I have made it. It reminds me of my old cherry tomato patch back at my old home. I sure miss the home grow taste of fresh tomatoes. I used to make gift baskets and always had a jar of this in there. You cannot find these preserves in your local markets. You would have to pay a pretty price for just a few ounces of this at a specialty store. Here it cost me $3.00 for 28 ounces of my preserves. Right now I am thinking of a grilled cheese sandwich with a smear of this inside, or with cheese and crackers. You can always multiply this recipe and can this using your favorite canning method and store this in your pantry for a rainy day.
Okay, ready? Lets do it.
- 16 ounces Tomatoes, Cooked, peeled. Canned tomatoes works fine
- 5-15. According to taste Jalapenos, Diced and seeded. I used 1/3 lb and threw in some seeds. HOT! HOT! hOT!
- 1 medium Red Onion, Diced
- 2 large cloves Garlic, minced fine
- 2 cups Sugar, I used brown, but any kind will do.
- 1/2 cup Lemon or Lime Juice
- 1/2 tablespoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
cook until it is reduced by about 2/3. It now looks translucent
- In a non aluminum pot add all the ingredients and cook on low for about 3 hours stirring occasionally scraping the bottom of the pan to avoid burning.
- You want to reduce this until the ingredients look translucent like candy. Store this in the refrigerator.
It's great with crackers and cheese
Come see my other recipes at...
Please feel free to share my recipes and blog as this is what I love to do...share. After all, when you are in service of others, your in service with our Almighty Heavenly Father.
Thank you and many blessings.