Pork-Pie Hot Water Dough Pastry Recipe
Delicious Family Recipe
This dish was always a favourite at my Grandma’s house, and served with fresh boiled vegetables it makes a great dinner. I've made a few of my own varioations over the years, I hope you like it.
Just Add Gravy
Ingredients For the Pie
- one pound Flour, Plain [all purpose flour]
- 4 ounce Lard
- 3 onuce Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cup warm water
- teaspoon corriander
- teaspoon paprika
- 2 cloves Garlic
- small onion
- 1.5 LB Pork mince
Make the Savoury Jelly
1. 1 pig’s trotter [you should get them for free as most butchers just throw them away.]
2. 2 onions
3. Salt, to taste
4 750ml water
Carrot, celery whatever is to hand.
Boil the trotters in a pan cover them with water, add onions garlic, carrots this will take about three hours, [yes I know you can buy leaf gelatin, but this is more fun.] reduce the stock and when reduced by about half leave to cool. Strain the stock and set aside.
You pick the little tasty pieces of meat from the trotters and add them into your pie. before it completely cools pour in your jelly mix through the holes.
THE PERFECT PIE
Since I originally wrote this hub, I have experimented with another way to roll out and make the dough.
all the same ingredients except; change the flour to bread flour, this gives a far strechier dough which will be easier to fit to your baking tins. Rather than packing the dough into the baking tin roll it out and then place into the tin as you would any pie pastry.
The perfect accompanyment for your pie
- Piccalilly, a tasty go with anything Victorian pickle with spices.
Picalilli, spicy, tasty, a pickle that will make every dish come to life.
- Place the water and fat into a saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil
- Once boiling, pour in the seasoned flour and then mix it into dough.
- Let it rest for at least an hour.
- Divide the dough and place half of it in the cookng tin. Press it into the shape of the tin.
- Roll the meat into a ball and then sit it inthe middle of the tin. Leave some space around the meat to allow the jelly to flow into it later.
- Roll out the remaining dough until it is big enough to fit your tin. Seal around the edges with egg yolk. Cut a couple of holes to allow the steam out.
- Glaze the pie with a mixture of egg and milk. Carefully brush this mix over the entire lid.
Detailed Instructions for your Delicious Pie
Hot water crust pastry breaks all the usual rules of pastry making, as normally all the ingredients have to be kept as cool as possible, it will produce a less crumbly and much firmer pastry. So place the water and fat into a pan and slowly bring to the boil, once boiling pour in the seasoned flour and mix into dough. Let it rest for about an hour.
Place half the dough in a well greased tin and press it into the shape of the tin.
Fill with the meat mix. I have found that if you ro;; the meat into a ball, it leaves a space all around it for the gravy to fill up later.
Now roll out the rest of the dough to make a lid for the pie, it's nice to be a bit artistic adding leaves and such like made from dough.
Don’t forget to cut a couple of holes in the lid and then to glaze it with a mixture of egg and milk.
Cook for 1hour 30 minutes at gas mark 7 around 200C
Serve hot or cold with whatever you like, or eat them just on their own.
They are great for a picnic or just to sit by the fire.