Easy Strawberry Jam Recipe
Strawberry Freezer JellyClick thumbnail to view full-size
How Do You Rate Strawberry Freezer Jam?
How to Make Strawberry JamClick thumbnail to view full-size
Sure Jell Strawberry Jam Recipe
This recipe is a sweet treat that can be spread on a bagel, toast, or be used as a topping for ice cream. Making freezer jam with Sure Jell is so easy that you can make several cans of this yummy treat in mere hours.
By having many jars prepared ahead of time, this can make a great gift for any event, whether a housewarming gift for a new neighbor or a present for your child's teacher. Make sure to dress it up by using a nice looking mason jar, take a square piece of fabric tie it on the top. Everyone will enjoy this awesome easy-to-make jam!
Ingredients for Strawberry Jam
- 2 cup strawberries, mashed
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 box Sure Jell
- 3/4 cups water
Nutrition Information for Strawberry Jam
|Serving size: 1 Tbs|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Sugar 11 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
How Do You Make Strawberry Jam
- Choose smaller strawberries, as they are sweeter, and make better jam. I also like to wait until they are dark red, right before they spoil, as these ones are also especially sweet. Make sure to wash strawberries of all dirt and chemicals, cut off stems and bad portions.
- Once the strawberries are washed and cut, take a potato masher, and mash up your strawberries, until they are like soup.
- Once the strawberries are mashed thoroughly, take two cups of mashed-up strawberries, then measure out four cups of sugar and mix together. It is important to make sure that the cups are as precise as possible, for it to gel well.
- Once mixed, set a timer for ten minutes. The mixture should sit for at least ten minutes in order for the sugar to dissolve well. Throughout this time, occasionally stir.
- Prepare the Sure Jell. There are other types of pectin that work well, but this is the brand I choose. Prepare this mixture on the stove, as the box indicates. It is a good idea to wait until your mixture has been sitting for at least ten minutes, since you will need to mix it with your strawberries immediately.
- Once it is prepared, immediately stir the Sure Jell into your strawberry mixture, stirring rapidly. Continue to stir for at least three minutes after the Sure Jell has been added.
- Then pour into containers. Old peanut butter jars work well, as well as mason jars. Fill it to about a half inch below the lid.
- If you have more strawberries, then begin again at step one. Do not double your recipe, as the pectin will not gel well if doubled.
- After all the jars have been filled, close them, and set it aside for twenty four hours at least. This will give time for it to become the consistency of jelly. After it has set out for an entire day, then you can place it into the freezer and give it away to friends.
Benefits of Strawberries
- Strawberries are full of fiber that curbs your appetite and regulates your digestion.
- Strawberries also contain anit-inflammatories, as well as anti-oxidants that will help decrease chance of cancer and slow the progresion of inflammatory diseases such as diabetes, arthritis, asthma, and Crohn's.
- Due to the vitamin C, it will also help improve your immune system, which will fight against any flus or colds that you may come into contact with.
- Eye health will also improve as a result of a regular diet that contains strawberries.
Strawberries without all the sugar will have great benefits for your body, as well as a low calorie snack. This strawberry jam, may contain a lot of sugar, but in moderation can help you achieve good health.
Although it is important to make sure you get a variety of fruits and vegetables in order to have the most balanced diet. Switch it up between zucchini, tomatoes, green beans, peppers, onions, olives, apples etc. The more colorful your diet is, the healthier you are eating!
© 2012 Angela Michelle Schultz