- Food and Cooking
How To Cook Chana Dal
What I learned that chana dal is good for those who is diagnose with diabetes, so I decided to add this recipe as my favorite dish. Since my family has diabetes so I need to be careful in cooking, what I keep looking for is food low in saturated fat, without any trans-fats, and packed with nutritious carbohydrates.
This food—chana dal—is practically unknown in the West, but it is available in all Indian store. Chana dal is a bean that comes from India, where they appreciate it very much.
Foods high in fat or protein don't cause your blood sugar level to rise much. But the problem, many experts believe, is that people with diabetes should limit how much fat and protein they eat.
Preparation for cooking:
2 cups Chana Dal
4 cups Water
1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
1/2 teaspoon Tumeric Powder (optional)
10-12 Garlic flakes (minced)
2 Onions (chopped)
2-3 tablespoon Canola oil or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon Garam masala
1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
1 Green Chilly (chopped)
Salt to taste
- Wash Chana Dal properly with water. Transfer it in a pressure cooker.
- Add 3-1/2 bowl water, salt, a pinch of chili powder, and turmeric powder.
- After 4rth whistle, remove and do not release the pressure.
- Heat the oil in frying pan and add chopped onions and garlic. Fry until onions turns light brown.
- Add cumin and crushed tomatoes. Cook again till tomatoes are well done.
- Now add chili powder, green chili and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Pour this masala into pressure cooker and add little water. (water should be boiled.)
- Remove the cooker after one whistle and add garam masala and coriander leaves.
- Chana dal is ready to serve.