- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
How To Cake Decorate The Easy Way Step 2
How To Use Stenciling For Cake Decorating
In my hub “How to Cake Decorate the Easy Way Step 1”, gives you a supply list of the items you needed to make your stencil. Therefore, in this hub we are going to make a stencil for a cake by showing you step by step how this can be done.
Making The Stencil
- To make the stencil, we first pick a picture and enlarge it if need be.This is in photo 1.
- Next, cut out the picture along the outside edges. Once you have done that, take your clear adhesive and put your picture on top of it to see how much adhesive you will need to cut to cover your picture. You will need two pieces of adhesive the same size. (photo 2)
- Peel the back off one adhesive and lay the picture on top sticky side up. Do the same with other adhesive and lay it on top carefully on picture sticky side down smoothing the adhesive as you go by pressing. This is shown in (photo 3a) and (photo 3b) Once that is done make sure that the adhesive is sealed on picture good. (photo 3c)
- Cut along the outside edge of the picture but not right up to the edge.(photo 4)
- Place the picture on your cutting mat, using your exact-o knife cut out any spaces that are going to be open (ie: cutting inside a window or between a bent arm, etc.) Once all the spaces are cut out, then you cut your lines using the stitching technique. That is how you make your outlines on the cake for your drawing.(photo 5)
- You have finished making your stencil. (photo 6)
This stencil can be used several times making sure you wipe the icing off the stencil as soon as you lift it off the cake. Having this stencil once it's cleaned can then be put beside you in eye view to help guide you in decorating the cake. The reasoning for this is sometimes you might not see your design on the cake clear enough to see what you are decorating.
In How to cake decorate the easy way step 3 will show you some cake decorating techniques pertaining to this style of decorating.
There are so many ways of decorating cakes from using Marzipan to make decorations for cakes, just like if you were using play dough when your were a child like making animals, fruits, etc. Since Marzipan is like dough, you can cover cakes with it by rolling it out and covering the cake like a blanket and then trim the dough by cutting away what you don't need.
Fondant is another way to decorate a cake. Like Marzipan it too is like a dough that is used to cover the cake the same way. Making the decorations with fondant is best by using the cookie cutter method and/or impressing a pattern in the fondant while it is still soft.
You can also decorate cakes by using Run-Outs. Run-outs are used if you want a 3D effect like a hard candy like designs by using Royal Icing and Chocolate. You trace your design on tracing paper, then put a piece of wax paper over top making sure you tape paper down on a flat hard surface so the design does not move.and trace the design with icing, then fill. Once the design hardens take off wax paper and decorate the cake. Make sure the cake is already covered with icing before you decorate with the Run-Outs.
I don't have any cakes to show you but there are books that show you how to make them and videos and even magazines. I would say that Wilson's Videos are good ones to watch because they show you step by step how to decorate cakes and how to use different types of icings. (fondants, etc.)
Tracing stencils from wallpaper to put on cakes
Some books that might be helpful.
© 2011 Di_Seminchuk