- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
How To Make An Indian Curry Sauce Base And How To Use It.
- 2 Pounds Onions
- 2 Bulbs Garlic
- 1 Red or Green Pepper
- 1 Piece Root Ginger
- Teaspoon Powdered Coriander
- Teaspoon Powdered Cumin
- Teaspoon Powdered Chilli
- Teaspoon Powdered Tumeric
- 2 Teaspoons Powdered Paprika
- Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- Knob Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- I Can Chopped Tomatoes
Peel and roughly chop around 2 pounds of onions.
Peel and roughly chop 2 bulbs of Garlic.
Chop one large Red or Green Pepper ( Capsicum ) and remove pith and seeds.
Chop and peel a 2 inch long piece of root Ginger.
Add all above vegetable ingredients to a large pan and add two tablespoons of Tomato Paste ( Puree ).
Add one can of tinned tomatoes to pan.
Add just enough water so that all ingredients are covered and boil on a medium heat until the onions are softened.
Once onions are softened put all ingredients including water into a large food blender and blend till the mixture resembles a thick soup consistency.
Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large Wok, once oil is heated add a knob of butter and allow butter to melt into oil without burning.
Now pour in our blended ingredients and fry til the mixture goes a reddish brown color.
Add each of the following spices to the mix, one teaspoon of Chilli Powder, two teaspoons of Paprika, one teaspoon of Turmeric, one teaspoon of Coriander and one teaspoon of Cumin.
Fry the spices in the mix for a few minutes and the base sauce is ready for use.
Base sauce can now be frozen into large or small takeaway containers to be used when needed.
Using the Base Sauce When Making A Curry
Now we have our base sauce prepared it can be used as a base for virtually any type of curry recipe that you choose to make. Lets look at making a mild curry Korma and a hot and spicy curry Madras.
To Make A Chicken Korma For One Person
- Heat a small amount of oil in a Karahi ( Balti Dish ), an Indian cooking pan like a small Wok, a small frying pan can suffice, add Chicken and gently fry Chicken till it is cooked through, add some base curry sauce.
- Fry all ingredients together for a few minutes then add some dessicated coconut and a handful of chopped almonds, pour in some fresh cream, at this point if you have it available add some saffron it adds an amazing taste to this dish, further heat the dish till it is just coming to boil and your Korma should be ready add a few chopped Coriander leaves for an aromatic taste, serve with rice and an Indian bread ( Naan or Chapati )
To Make A Chicken Madras For One Person
1. Heat a small amount of oil in a Karahi ( Balti Dish ), an Indian cooking pan like a small Wok, a small frying pan can suffice, add Chicken and gently fry Chicken till it is cooked through, add some base curry sauce.
2. Fry all ingredients together for a few minutes then add finely chopped fresh Chilli, amount according to taste ( i add at least two but i like my curry's very hot ). Add one tablespoon of Tomato Paste, add one teaspoon of Chilli powder, one teaspoon of Paprika powder, one half teaspoon of Turmeric,Cumin and Coriander powders and fry a little longer, finally add half a teaspoon of sugar and stir in a teaspoon of Garam Massala and a teaspoon of Garlic powder and fry for one minute , your Madras should then be ready to serve. Add a little water if your curry looks a bit dry and serve with rice and an Indian bread.
More Curry Stuff
- The Most Popular Curries In UK Indian Restaurants.
What are the most popular curries in UK restaurants?