- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
How To Make Bandung Beef Soup (Soto Bandung)
Soto Bandung, warm up your day with this very-easy-to make traditional soup that is very popular in Bandung, Indonesia.
Soto Bandung is traditional soup made of beef, daikon radish and spices such as lemongrass and ginger. Unlike other variants of "soto" or Indonesian traditional soup, this is the easiest one. The broth is clear and infused with minimum spice, topped with crunchy fried soy beans and fried shallot flakes. The beef is tender and the daikon is soft. Yes, it is simple but very tasty.
This is a Sundanese dish that Indonesian love to cook and eat it during cold weather. It is eaten with warm steamed rice. It can be eaten at any times in a day.
Here is how to make easy Soto Bandung or Bandung Beef Soup. Always enjoy it with red hot chili paste.
What You Need
Serves 2 - 4
1 lbs beef brisket
2 stalk lemongrass, cut into 6 pieces, bruised
1-inch fresh ginger
2 daun salam (Indonesian bay leaves)
1 medium daikon radish, thinly sliced
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
2 tbsp canola oil
8 small Asian shallots
3 cloves garlic
Hot chili paste:
15 Thai hot chilies, blanched
2 cloves garlic, blanched
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp chopped spring onions
1 tbsp chopped Chinese celery
1 tbsp fried shallot flakes
fried soy beans
hot chili sauce
How to Fix
- Use mortar and pestle or food processor to grind the shallot and garlic. Set aside.
- To make chili paste, put chili, garlic, salt, sugar and vinegar in the food processor. Process the mixture into a coarse paste. Transfer to a small bowl.
- In a medium stockpot, put beef, lemongrass, ginger, bay leaves, salt, sugar, white pepper and water to cover. Bring it to boil over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer the beef until tender. Skim off any scum that rises to the top.
- Remove the beef from stock. Cut the beef into cubes or thin slices.
- Meanwhile, heat cooking oil in the wok over high heat. Add spice paste and stir-fry about 1 minute or until fragrant. Remove from the heat and transfer the cooked spice into the broth.
- Return the beef into the broth . Add daikon radish. Bring the broth into rolling boiling over high heat. Then reduce the heat to simmer. Continue to simmer until the broth is reduced by half.
- Taste and adjust the flavors, add salt or sugar if necessary.
- Remove from heat and transfer to serving bowl. Sprinkle on fried soy beans, fried shallot flakes, celery and spring onions. Serve it hot with hot chili paste.
More Indonesian Recipes
- Indonesian Es Puter Kelapa - Traditional Coconut Ice Cream Recipe. How to Make Dairy Free Indonesian
Easy and dairy free ice cream recipe
- Easy Pisang Bakar - Indonesian Grilled Banana Sundae Recipe. How to Make Simple Grilled Banana!
A quick and easy banana dessert recipe !
- Easy Indonesian Jus Alpukat - Avocado Shake Recipe. How to Make Indonesian Style Shake!
How to make avocado juice.
- Indonesian Deep Fried Stuffed Tofu Recipe (Tahu Isi)