- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
How To Make Basic Curry Sauce /Makhani Sauce
Rate My Recipe
Basic Curry Sauce
Indian basic sauce or gravy is mostly tomato based or yogurt based. Tomato based gravy also call for fresh cream. This gravy is basically used in makhani recipes. If you feel the fresh cream brings out strong creamy texture, you are always free to use plain milk. Yogurt based is sour in taste but not used much on daily basis. Actually tomato based gravy is mostly used in northern part of India. But in southern India, people use lot of coconut, dry red chilies and tamarind in their cuisine specially in gravy recipe whether it is vegetarian or non vegetarian. Basic sauce recipe is quite easy to prepare and use it in your daily cooking. The best part of this sauce is that the sauce can be frozen and use it whenever you want in your cooking.
- 3 Tbsp cooking/vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamom
- 2 clove
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 teaspoon red chili powder (Kashmir red chili powder)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 Big red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1&1/2 inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 2 cups of tomato puree, (fresh or canned)
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro/coriander, (optional)
Curry Sauce Making Process
- Heat pan on medium flame and add oil into it. Then add cumin seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and fry till leaves nice aroma.
- Then add the onion and fry till onion becomes soft and transparent
- Add green chilies, ginger and garlic. Fry for 2 minutes
- Now add tomato puree and cook for another 2 minutes
- Then add turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Stir repeatedly to avoid the sticking to the pan.
- Turn off the flame and allow the fried mixture to cool down
- Once the mixture cools down. Grind it to smooth paste along with ½ cup of water.
- After this sauce can be frozen or use it way you like.
- If you're using basic sauce to make a meat recipe,Firstly you have to fry the meat till you see light brown spot on it and then add into gravy
- Adjust salt, red chili powder and also adjust the consistency by adding water
- Then cook it for 10 minutes and meat curry is ready to serve
- You can serve this dish with roti or rice
Makhani sauce is a popular flavorful creamy butter based tomato sauce common in asian homes. “makhani” is a local Indian word and it is a common name among Indian food lovers. For people who do not know this word the English meaning of this word is “butter”. Various recipes can be cooked using this particular sauce. Some of the common household names are Paneer makhani, dal makhani, murg makhani , chicken makhani etc.The Makhani sauce can also be eaten as a gravy. To create this gravy you can use thick tomato base or cream/milk. Try to enjoy this popular delicacy at home or visit a local Indian restaurant.
Prep time : 30 min
Ingredients: Makhani Sauce
Ingredients: (yields 1 cup of sauce)
- green cardamom - 2
- fenugreek seeds -1/4 tsp
- kasuri methi -1 tsp
- tomato puree -1 cup
- Red chilly powder (ideal 1 tbsp. depends on your taste)
- cinnamon coarse powder(ideal 1/2 tbsp. depends on your taste)
- salt -1&1/2 tsp
- green chillies, slitted - 1
- heavy milk cream -1/4 cup
- Heat butter and add cinnamon, fenugreek seeds and cardamoms. Fry for 2 minutes
- Then add in ginger paste, garlic paste, chilly powder and salt. Fry them till you see small bubbles coming out of it.
- Now add tomato puree, green chillies, kasuri methi and cinnamon powder .Fry well.
- Then mix in 2 cups of water. Mix everything well
- Simmer the tomato masala, till the oil separate from masala or till you get nice aroma.
- Please close the pan when you’re cooking the sauce to avoid any spluttering.
- When done turn off the flame.
- Mix in cream and stir well. Cook for 2 minutes
- Remember not to add heavy milk cream or plain milk, if you’re freezing the sauce.
- Makhani recipes need lots of cream. But it can be optional.
- Some people like tangy sauce, then you can reduce the quantity of cream.
- Adding cream depends on one’s preference.