- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
How To Make Caramel PopCorn Recipe
Work From Home
This article was created by a work from home mom; join us at HubPages, work from home and become part of a great community by clicking here: HubPages
This caramel popcorn recipe is easy to make and tastes just like the caramel corn at your local fair, boardwalk or carnival!
My favorite caramel popcorn is Johnson's Popcorn on the boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ and the caramel corn at James' Candies in Sea Isle City, NJ, but who can resist a bag or box of Cracker Jacks, the original caramel popcorn!
Carmel corn can be a big seller at bake sales and other school events. Get a few moms together to make several popcorn batches, package it in clear cellophane bags with a ribbon in school colors and you can add a lot of extra cash to the fundraising pot!
Homemade Caramel Popcorn
Ingredients for Caramel Corn Recipe
- 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 2 Sticks Butter
- 1/2 cup Corn Syrup (dark)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 5 Tablespoons Oil
- 2/3 cup Popcorn Kernels
- Heat the oil in a 4qt or larger saucepan on medium high heat. Add 2 kernels of popcorn to the hot oil. When these 2 kernels pop add the remaining corn to the pot and cover with lid. Put the pan back on the heat and allow kernels to pop (shaking occasionally). Once the popping sounds slow down, remove from heat and pour popcorn into a large roasting pan.
- Combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt in a 2-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking until a candy thermometer reaches 250°F (about 10 to 14 minutes).
- Remove from heat; stir in baking soda and vanilla. Carefully pour the hot caramel over the popcorn in the large roasting pan. Stir with a wooden spoon until all the popcorn is coated.
- Bake in oven at 225 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove popcorn from oven, stir, bake for another 15 minutes
- Remove from oven. Spread caramel corn on waxed paper, allow to cool, break into small pieces. Store in tightly covered container and Enjoy!
Easy Microwave Caramel Popcorn Recipe
1/2 cup popcorn kernels, pop them and you'll have about 4 quarts of popcorn
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup light Karo corn syrup
1 tsp salt
11/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
- Pop the kernels. Divide the popped popcorn and place in two or three very large glass bowls.
- In a large bowl add brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, vanilla and salt. Heat this mixture for 2 to 3 minutes in the microwave, stir with a wooden spoon, heat for another 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from microwave, stir and blend well, add baking soda, mix well.
- Pour equal amounts of the caramel mixture over the popcorn in the each of the bowls. Take the first bowl, stir, place in microwave for 30 seconds, stir well, microwave again for 30 seconds, stir, continue doing this for about 2 minutes until all popcorn is covered. Pour popcorn out onto a baking sheet and spread out to cool, stirring and moving corn frequently till cool.
- Do the same with the next bowls.
- Allow caramel corn to cool thoroughly before eating. Enjoy!