- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Cookies & Biscuits
How To Make Cashew Nut Cookies
Thanks For Voting My Recipe.
Cashew Nut Cookies
I am a crazy nutty fan for cashew nuts. I love those roasted cashew nuts coated with honey which are usually sold in small packets that cost around RM3.50 ( USD $ ) for 15 pieces. Quite costly.
It is alright to purchase a packet for nibbling while watching a movie but not for baking purpose. It will cost me more than at least $12 to bake cookies !
Raw cashew nuts are much cheaper than roasted ones. I would rather buy raw cashews as they are sold in large packets with reasonable price.
I usually buy raw cashew nuts for baking cookies and cakes purpose only, I don’t consume them for snacks.
In addition, roasting raw cashews are not difficult either. Look at the tips and trick section for some simple instructions.
I usually bake Cashew Nut Cookies for Chinese New Year, a compulsory happy occasion for the Chinese families. Otherwise, these cookies are great for tea-time and goes well with milk tea or any of your favorite hot beverages.
Main Ingredients To Prepare:
- 240g butter
- 100g sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 100g cashew nut, –grounded
- ½ tsp baking powder, - sieved
- 350g flour, sieved
- 20g custard flour, sieved
- For Glazing: 1 egg, - beaten
- For decoration: Some cashew nuts-, roasted and cut into half
Tips and tricks:
Remember to weigh your ingredients as according to the recipe quantity.
You could either use salted or unsalted butter under room temperature.
As for sugar, you could either use icing sugar or castor sugar.
I prefer to use raw cashew nuts for my cookies as they are much cheaper and there is no added sugar or salt.
There are several ways to roast the cashews but I found these 2 methods are easily done at home :
- Spread them across the tray and roast in the oven for 10 minutes at 150C.
- Heat up a dry wok or pan under low fire and roast them until both sides turn brownish, not burnt.
Method of Baking Cashew Nut Cookies
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until creamy. You can either beat the batter with a stainless steel fork or throw them into a cake mixer for a quick process.
- Crack in 1 egg and vanilla essence.
- Stir well.
- Make sure that they are well combined.
- Sieve dry ingredients- flour, baking powder, custard flour in another bowl.
- Add in grounded cashew nuts into the dry mixture. Mix well.
- Pour in the dry ingredients ( sieved ) into the butter mixture.
- Stir well until all ingredients are well combined.
- It will form into a soft dough.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge ( not freezer ) for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 3 portions for easy rolling.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a dry surface ( or cutting board ).
- Roll 1 portion of the dough flat around 3mm thickness.
- Dip cookie cutter into little flour in order to allow the cookie to slip out easily.
- Stamp out the dough with cookie cutter. Place the cookies onto lightly greased baking tray or baking sheet.
- Brush each cookie with little egg.
- Lightly place 1 piece of half cashew nut on top each cookie.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the cashew nut cookies turn brownish.
- Allow the cookies to cool on wire rack before storing them in air-tight container.
What are the nutritional value of cashew nuts?
These delicious, crunchy cashew nuts are rich in:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin E
- 20% protein
Facts about cashew nuts
- Cashew nuts look like a crescent moon or a grain worm that are originally white-cream in color.
- They turn light brownish in color after roasted or toasted.
- These nuts are grown in tropical countries but take 3 long years to harvest them after plating. That is why cashew nuts are expensive.
- By the end of the year around the month of November, you may notice red and yellow flowers bloom which indicate the next stage would be bearing the fruit, hard nutshell cashews.
- When it is ripe, 2 cashew nuts will be collected in each fruit.
What are the disadvantages of cashew nuts?
Consuming too much cashew nuts may lead to:
- Excess phlegm
- High cholesterol level
What are the advantages of cashew nuts?
- Rebuilds energy
- Reduce anti-aging problem
Cashew nuts are nutritious. That is why cashew nuts are often used in baking cookies, cakes, pastry and Western dishes.
|Serving size: 28g|
|Calories from Fat||108|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 12 g||18%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 9 g||3%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 3 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
My Own Video-Cashew Nut Cookies
How Often Do You Consume Cashew Nuts?
How often do you buy Cashew Nuts?
© 2014 peachy