- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques»
Recipe: How To Make Delicious French Bread At Home
The idea of baking french bread used to scare me, that is until I came across this great recipe and invested in my Cuisinart Food Processor. Now, I find that baking delicious french bread at home is an absolute breeze. I especially like this recipe because it produces two really soft loaves of bread which stay fresh for a couple of days. The aromas produced by baking this bread remind me of being in a typical little french bakery. It's so much fun to make!
For The Yeast Mixture
1 Package of Active Dry Yeast
1/4 Cup Warm Water (100 Deg F)
1 Tsp Sugar
For The Rest Of The Dough
2 Egg Whites (plus a little for brushing)
1/2 Cup Warm Water (100 Deg F)
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Oil or Melted Shortening
1-3/4 Cups Flour
- What to Do With Extra Egg Yolks: Hollandaise Sauce
What can you do with the 3-4 egg yolks remaining after using the whites in another recipe? How about a hollandaise sauce? Includes a great video showing how to easily master the Hollandaise sauce.
- Prepare the package of yeast by stirring it into 1/4 cup of warm water (100 degrees F) and adding 1 teaspoon of sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Next prepare the 2 egg whites until stiffly beaten. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the warm water, sugar, salt and oil by pulsing 2 or 3 times.
- Add 1 cup of the flour to the food processor and pulse until starting to combine.
- Add the yeast mixture and remaining flour and pulse a few times.
- Next, add the egg whites and run the food processor for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and, if necessary, add more flour. Run the food processor again until you achieve a sticky but well combined and kneaded dough (30-60 seconds).
- Put the dough in a large bowl and cover with a tea towel. Leave to double in size for at least 2 hours at room temperature.
- Punch down the dough and then shape into 2 long loaves and place them on a cookie sheet (no special bread pans required!) At this stage, the dough will have shrunk and the loaves will probably look rather small and skinny.
- Brush the loaves with egg white and slash them diagonally with a sharp knife.
- Cover and let rise again for approximately 1 hour.
- Bake at 450 for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to 400 and continue to bake for a further 8-10 minutes.
When done, the bread will sound hollow when tapped underneath.
Enjoy by eating one while fresh!
A Real Attempt at My Recipe! By Homesteadbound
- "The Clover Loaf" - Making French Bread the Cloverleaf Way
Here's what happens when one hubber tries a recipe from another hubber. Hubbers beware!
Awesome Sandwich Recipes Using French Bread
- How To Make Cambodian Vietnamese Marinated Deli Pork Sandwich Recipe
This recipe is inspired by three different cultures: A Cambodian twist on a Vietnamese Traditional Sandwich influenced by the French during the French Colonial Period. Called "Bah Mi" in the Cambodian Khmer Language, the Cambodian People have taken a
- How To Make French Cambodian Pork Terrine Sandwich At Home Recipe
This recipe comes from Cambodia, Southeast Asia and is influenced by the French during the French Colonial Period. This recipe includes French Baguette...