- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines
How To Make Cambodian Fish Cakes with Lime Leaves and Chives Khmer Recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 minutes
This recipe calls for a Pestle and Mortar to grind some of the ingredients. If you don't have a Pestle and Mortar, a Food Processor may be substituted. This recipe also uses Khmer Curry Paste and you will have to Follow this link for that Recipe: Khmer Curry Paste
This Recipe only takes about 45 minutes to make. Serve this as an Appetizer at your next Super Bowl Party and it is sure to be a big hit with your friends and family!
Let's have a look at the Ingredients:
Fish Cakes with Lime Leaves and Chives Ingredients
How To Prepare
Tender White Fish Fillets (Whiting, Cod, Sole or Flounder)
14 oz (400 g)
**Khmer Curry Paste**
3 1/2 tablespoons
**See Recipe Link Above in First Section**
Palm Sugar or Dark Brown Sugar
Just a Pinch!
1 Small Bunch
Kaffir Lime Leaves
enough for deep frying
(Store Bought) Bottled Sweet and Sour Sauce
used for dipping
Skillet, Dutch Oven or Deep Fryer
Pestle and Mortar (or Food Processor)
Let's look at the recipe!
Fish Cakes with Lime Leaves and Chives Recipe
- Combine the Fish, Khmer Curry Paste, Sugar and Salt in a Mortar and pound until the ingredients are combined thoroughly.
- Add the Chives and Kaffir Lime Leaves and mix well.
- Roll the mixture into a ball and firmly drop it into the Mortar to release any air pockets. This will prevent the fish cakes from falling apart during frying.
- Divide the mixture into eight parts
- Roll each portion into a ball, then flatten into a patty.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and fry the patties until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Drain on Paper Towels.
- Serve with Sweat and Sour Sauce or for more ideas on Dipping Sauces, follow this link: Dipping Sauces.
Serve these up at your next Halloween Party or Super Bowl Party and you will be recognized as a great chef!
Chanang Tay! (Tastes Great!)
A Portion of the Purchase of This Book Goes To Charity!
More Recipes by J.S.Matthew
- How To Make Fish Pate with Peanuts and Tamarind Recipe
A Cambodian Recipe adapted from the French during the French Colonization Period. This dish uses the elements of a Crudite Dip. This dish is very complex and delightful!
- How To Make Pickles In 24 Hours
Want to learn how to make Pickles in only 24 Hours? This recipe is easy to use and takes less than a half hour to prepare, but needs to sit overnight to marinate. Unlike most pickled vegetables recipes, this recipe does not require you to go through
- How To Make Healthy Cambodian Khmer Raw Vegetable, Fruit and Herb Plate Recipe
Sick of the same old salad? Want a new Healthy Recipe? This Recipe combines Raw Vegetables and Fruit with a selection of Fine Herbs and Spices. It is also a healthy dish because of the Ingredients used.
- How To Make Cambodian Vietnamese Marinated Deli Pork Sandwich Recipe
This recipe is inspired by three different cultures: A Cambodian twist on a Vietnamese Traditional Sandwich influenced by the French during the French Colonial Period. Called "Bah Mi" in the Cambodian Khmer Language, the Cambodian People have taken a
- About Cambodia, Srok Khmer: Facts, Fun, and Photos: A Guide To Cambodian Culture
Cambodia has a long and interesting history, including one of the worst atrocities to ever happen to a single country. The Khmer Rouge killed millions of innocent people in this genocide. This article includes recent pictures that my wife took...
- Southeast Asian Water Festival in Lowell, MA: Photo Journey
The Southeast Asian Water Festival in Lowell, MA is held on the third Saturday of August every year. This article is a display of the events through Original Photos (Are You in one of them?) and descriptions of the Festival's Vendors and Events...
- How To Make French Cambodian Pork Terrine Sandwich At Home Recipe
This recipe comes from Cambodia, Southeast Asia and is influenced by the French during the French Colonial Period. This recipe includes French Baguette...
- How To Make Honey Glazed Chicken: A Khmer Southeast Asian Recipe
Traditionally, this dish is cooked in an earthenware pot. These pots are usually hand-made in the Kampong Chang region. The pot is placed in a small barbecue to add a smoky flavor to the dish. The herbs and spices...
- How To Make Green Mango, Chili Coriander, and Tamarind Asian Dipping Sauces
In the first article of this series, we explored the Basic Ingredients for Cooking Cambodian-Southeast Asian Food. One of the most common foods found in Cambodian, and many other Southeast Asian homes, that are easy to make and inexpensive...
- How To Make Sweet Soybean Coconut Cake Desert Recipe
A Delicious Soybean Cake Recipe that makes a great companion to Homemade Coconut Ice Cream with Caramelized Bananas! Follow this recipe and be delighted by a Sweet Southeast Asian Cambodian Khmer Desert!
- How To Make Palm Sugar Pearls with Coconut Cambodian Khmer Recipe
This is a cherished desert from Southeast Asia in Cambodia! There is an old wive's tale that these are sometimes called "Husband Killer Cake" in the native Khmer Language. The rumor is that when a wife would catch her husband cheating...
- A List of Authentic Ingredients for Khmer Cambodian Food With Recipes
Cambodian recipes are usually not written down, but rather passed from generation to generation by showing children how to prepare these dishes in their own kitchens. It is a great cultural significance and bonding ritual within many Asian...
- How To Make Cambodian Khmer Sweet Coconut Waffles
This recipe is a Southeast Asian Khmer Cambodian Recipe that was influenced by the French during the Colonial Period. Of course, as Cambodians always do, they made a recipe into their own using Coconuts which are native to the region!
- 2 Quick Appetizer Recipes: How To Make Shrimp Fritters and Sweet Potato Rolls with Ginger
Are you looking for quick, easy and delicious appetizer recipes? Then look no further! This article has 2 recipes: Shrimp Fritters and a recipe for Sweet Potato Rolls with Ginger. The recipes come from Cambodia, Southeast Asia and were influenced...
- My Soul Mate Found Me! A Short Essay On Karma Love and My Beautiful Cambodian Wife!
A love story about 2 people who would have never met, except for a series of unfortunate events that brought them together. Dealing with failed relationships and surviving the Khmer Rouge, an ethnic cleansing regime in Cambodia's dark past.
- How To Make Asian Sesame Banana Fritters At Home
These Banana Sesame Fritters make a great snack whether for after school or after a meal. They are best accompanied by Home Made Coconut Ice Cream but can eaten alone as well! This would make a great appetizer or side dish at your next Super Bowl Par
- How To Make 3 Basic Cambodian Khmer Curry Dishes for Chicken, Seafood, or Meat and A Tangy Ham and V
One of the most enjoyed dishes in Cambodia, Southeast Asia, India and all over the world, is Curry. Curry has a very distinct aroma and taste. You can season Pork, Chicken, Beef, or Lamb with Curry, and these recipes are easy to make...
- How To Make Healthy Fresh Spring Salad Summer Rolls With Shrimp Rice Paper Recipe
Many Asian cultures eat Spring Rolls (often called Salad or Summer Rolls) but this recipe comes from Cambodia, Southeast Asia. You can add shrimp or omit it depending on your desired taste.
- How To Make Homemade Coconut Ice Cream with Caramelized Bananas
Ice Cream is a delicious treat but did you know that you can make it from home? That's right! This Hub Article will guide you through the steps to make Delicious Coconut Ice Cream with Caramelized Bananas.
- Learn How To Speak and Write Cambodian: An Introduction To The Khmer Language
An introduction to Khmer, the language of Cambodia. Includes pronunciation, character/letter writing, original photos and drawings. This is the best guide for a beginner who wants to learn how to read, write, and speak Khmer Cambodian.