Making Whole Wheat Pizza - Using A Bread Machine
How Do You Rate This Pizza Recipe?
Discovering The Joy Of Home Made Pizzas!
We bought a bread machine to save on the not inconsiderable household bread bills. Our local bakery bread was selling for $4.69 and we thought we could make it for less. That started us on a research project to find the best bread machine, as we did not have the time to make dough manually. We settled on the Zojirushi Home Bakery Virtuoso Machine. You can imagine our delight when we discovered that we could also use it to make the most incredible pizza dough.
Our local pizzeria was charging $18.00 for a 12 inch pizza and now we could make our own for less than $5.00 and that with more of our favorite toppings and four different cheeses in the topping too! A great reason to buy a bread machine, or help in justifying the cost of it?
This is our standby recipe, feel free to change it up and dress it as you see fit. This recipe is for a whole wheat pizza base, but you can make a white base by using all bread flour, or all purpose flour, instead of the whole wheat flour.
The Rapidly Vanishing Pizza
Pizza Ingredients Dough Then Toppings
- 1.5 Cups Water, Filtered
- 1.5 Tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp Granulated Sugar, Can Use Brown Instead
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Cold Pressed Is Best
- 2 Cups Organic Whole Wheat Flour, I Buy From Bulk Barn
- 2.25 Cups Bread Or All Purpose Flour, I Buy From Bulk Barn
- 2 Tsp Bread Machine Or Instant Yeast, I Use Fleischmann's
- 0.5 Medium Onion, Finely Chopped
- 0.5 Red Pepper, Finely Chopped
- 0.5 Stick about 50 gms Honey Garlic Pepperoni, I Use Brothers - Thinly sliced
- 5 Small or 4 Medium Mushrooms, Thinly sliced
- 40 Gms Aged Cheddar, Grated
- 40 Gms Mozzarella, Grated
- 40 Gms Romano, Shaved
- 10 Gms Parmesan, Powdered
- 1 Can - 213ml Pizza Sauce, I Use Loblaw's No Name
- .25 Tsp Oregano, + or - To Taste
- .25 Tsp Basil, + or - To Taste
- .25 Tsp Cilantro, + or - To Taste
Preparing The Pizza - Dough First Then Topping
- Add The Water To The Bread Machine Dough Pan.
- Add The White Flour (Bread or All Purpose) To The Bread Machine Dough Pan.
- Make An Indent In The Flour And Add The Salt.
- Make An Indent In The Flour And Add The Sugar.
- Add The Whole Wheat Flour To The Bread Machine Dough Pan.
- Make An Indent In The Flour And Add The Yeast. Ensure The Yeast, Salt, and Sugar Do Not Touch Each Other.
- Place The Dough Pan Back In Your Machine And Select The Dough Cycle. Do Not Set A Cook Cycle!
- Wait Until Dough Is Finished (About 2 hours - Allowing For Rises).
- Remove Dough Onto Lightly Floured Board And Cover With a Large Bowl. Leave To Rise For 15 Mins More.
- Split Dough In Two (It Is Enough For 2 - 12 inch Pizzas)
- Wipe A Non Stick Pizza Pan Over With A Little Olive Oil On A Piece Of Paper Towel. Pre-Heat Stove to 400 F.
- Press Half Of the Dough Into The Pan Evenly. Using Lightly Floured Hands Makes This Easier. You Can Spin The Dough If You Know How!
- Spread The Tomato Pizza Sauce On Top Of The Base.
- Evenly Sprinkle Spices Over Sauce.
- Evenly Sprinkle Onion And Red Pepper Over Sauce
- Place Pepperoni Slices On Top.
- Add The Thinly Sliced Mushrooms.
- Mix The Cheddar And Mozzarella Cheeses Together. Then Cover The Pizza With Them.
- Fill Any Less Covered Areas With Shavings Of Romano. Try To Be Even.
- Lightly Sprinkle The Whole Pizza With The Powdered Parmesan.
- Place The Pizza In The Pre-Heated Oven And Set A Timer For 12 Minutes.
- Remove When The Cheese Is Starting To Brown And Has Melted Well. Slice And Serve. We Like A Side Salad With It.
Nutritional Value Of The Pizza As Made
|Serving size: 1 Slice|
|Calories from Fat||99|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 11 g||17%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Unsaturated fat 3 g|
|Carbohydrates 40 g||13%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 14 g||28%|
|Cholesterol 23 mg||8%|
|Sodium 689 mg||29%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Additional Nutritional Data
Vitamin B - 12
Vitamin B - 6