- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques»
How To Make Homemade Bread from Scratch
Step By Step Instructions for making Bread from Scratch
Making Homemade bread from scratch is not only so easy to make but also a much healthier choice for you and your loved ones.
I am going to show you a Step by Step Guide on "How to make Homemade Bread from Scratch"
Not Only Will you be saving Money from buying bread from your Local grocery Store,
But you will love the Taste of the Bread, and also love the fact that Homemade bread is healthier for you and your family.
Ingredients you will be using in this recipe:
- yeast - 2 Tbsp.
- Warm water- 2 cups
- bread flour - 5 Cups Total
- Sugar - 2 Tbsp
- salt 2- 2 tsp.
- oil - 2 Tbsp.
You will need the following cookwear:
- 1 Large Bowl
- 3 Loaf pans ( or one large pan for one large loaf- optional)
- 1 Large spoon
- cooking rack ( to set bread on to cool)
- Wax Paper (optional)
- Damp Towel (optional plastic wrap) for covering the dough to let it rise.
Step 1 (Mix Ingredients)
Mix these Ingredients:
You will want to mix these ingredients in a large bowl
- and salt
- 3 cups of flour
You will want to Sift this well.
Step 2 (adding the wet Ingredients)
You will now add:
- Warm water (this water should not be hot or cold, if its too hot, it will not work, and if its too cold this will not rise)
- also add your oil.
Step 3 ( Mixing with your large spoon)
Mix this together with a large spoon.
Let this sit for about 8-10 mins, your dough will be sticky and bubbly,
Depending on your yeast you may have a slight yeast smell and this will let you know your recipe is working.
Step 4 (kneading the dough)
Knead dough about 8 to 9 times.
adding your remaining flour, which is about 2 cups.
Put a Damp cloth over your bowl (optional plastic wrap) and let this rise for about 45 mins
This should double in size.
When dough rises, if it rises and touches the damp cloth or plastic wrap it will stick to it, so be sure its a very deep bowl or that you put some cooking oil spray on your plastic wrap. )
Step 5 (Punching the dough down)
After your 45 mins is up, dough should be double in size.
Now take your dough punch it down and divide into 3 sections.
You are dividing your dough for putting them into your bread pans.
You could make just one large size bread but will need to adjust the type of pan you will use for your pan, this recipe will make three loaf pans or one large pan. I prefer the larger personally :)
Step 6 (after the first rise)
- Now the dough is ready to put into your Bread Pans.
- You can use a non-sticking spray, or butter.
- Or you can use wax paper, with sticking spray on it.
- Cover and let your dough Rise again.
This can take about 30 mins to 6 hours, depending on how fast it rises. Mine personally took a couple of hours.
Step 7 (cooking temperature)
- After the bread has risen to your desire,
- preheat oven to 375 and cook perfectly at 25 mins.
Step 8 (putting it on the cooking rack)
- After Bread is cooked, Place loaves onto a cooking rack.
- This will allow the steam from the bottom to release, without making the bread moist.
- Should take about Ten to Fifteen minutes.
This is a great time to Put some:
- Raw Honey
- or sesame seeds
- Toasted oats
- Pretty much anything :)
This will be so good, you will never want to eat store bought bread again.
I hope your bread turned out as good as mine, Mine was soft and delicious and gone as soon as I made it. It is a tremendous cost reduction in buying bread from the grocery store. Bread flour is pretty cheap in comparison to the rise in prices of breads at the store now-a-days.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, you can also make bread in a bread maker which is simple, but making it yourself is just as easy to me.
I also have a great recipe on "How to make French Bread from Scratch" Please check that out as well.
Thank you for visiting!! I hope your bread turned out as good as mine did, I used my actual photos of the bread I made with this recipe. I have more recipes and articles on how to make french bread from scratch, health, reviews on Products, and so much more!
Just follow the Butterfly