How To Make Pickles From Cucumbers In Your Garden
In this Hub I am going to show you how to Make Pickles From Cucumbers From Your Garden.
I will try to make this an easy to read and understand article with many illustrated pictures of my own cucumbers that I have picked from my own garden. I hope you enjoy this hub and that you will leave here knowing how to Water-bath can your own cucumbers. This will be fun and easy today with a great satisfaction of knowing how to make Pickles!!
Yummy So lets begin.
What you will Need for This Project
- Large Stalk Pot
- Fresh Cucumbers from your Garden - 12 Pounds or More
- 1 Package of Kosher seasoning ( you can use any seasoning Dill or Kosher)
- Or Fresh Garlic and Dill (herb Seasoning or Fresh from the store) (optional)
- Vinegar (White Distilled)
- 12 Quart Size Canning Jars
- Lids for the Canning Jars
- Tongs ( for pulling out the jars from boiling water)
- Stirring Spoon
Sterilizing Your Jars
In Water-Bath Canning you will want to sterilize your jars. This Process Takes about 10-15 Mins Of Boiling the Jars in Hot water just to make sure that they are completely free of bacteria. You can also sterilize them in your sanitary wash of your dishwasher this will work also.
I like to also put My Lids separate inside of a pan boiling and leave this hot and ready to top the jars off after I have put my pickles in the jars.
Aquiring Your Pickles
To Start this project you will want to pick Fresh Cucumbers from your Garden. There are a couple of types of cucumbers you can grow. I know that the Darker cucumbers are more of a Salad cucumber then the lighter ones that are prickly are the nice crunchy cucumbers that are great for Pickling. When you picking your cucumbers you will be picking them for about at least a month during harvest time. I would pick as many small ones as you can for the smaller pickles. You can store this in your refrigerator inside of a plastic bag to keep the pickles fresher longer until you acquire the amount of pickles you will need for your canning. You can pick larger ones for spears for Kosher Pickles. I save at least 12 pounds of cucumbers that will fill a size of 12 quart jars. Be sure to deflower your cucumbers and wash them well when you are ready to pickle. After this you will slice hamburger slices for your pickles or you can cut into spears. This will be up to you. The small cucumbers do not have to be cut at all, but just make sure that you clean them well.
I have done both in my pickling and kinda got creative :)
- Prep time: 1 hour
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 30 min
- Yields: 12 Quarts of Pickles
- Now after you have sterilized your jars and washed and cut all of your cucumbers you are ready to fill the jars.
- I take some fresh garlic and dill herbs, or you can buy fresh dill and fill the jar at the bottom with that first. You do not have to use the seasoning package if you do it this way.
- You will have to use a stock pot and put the package with water and white distilled vinegar.
- Now you place your freshly washed cucumbers in the jars and pack it to the brim as tight as you can, your seasoning liquid should be cooking at this time and also your lids should be in hot water ready to put on your jars.
- In this article, I have in fact used the seasoning package of Mrs Wages Kosher Dill 2 Packages the mixture contains all the herbs and seasonings in it if you like kosher dill pickles. One package makes 10 to 12 quarts of pickles.
- The Seasoning package will have the exact measurements of the white vinagar needed and the measurements of water. Also it will depend on how many packages you use for the amounts of pickles you will be making.
- There are a couple of different seasoning packages available to buy, which is Kosher Dill, Bread n butter, and just plain Dill, each set of instructions will be slightly different, and you may want to do a little of each one. Depending on your tastes.
- After you boil the herbal seasoning and placed your cucumbers in the jars, packed tightly you will now pour in the jars the liquid.
- Once you have the liquid in the jars you will place your hot lids on the jars and you do not have to close tightly as the rings can be taken off after water bathing.
- Once the rings are tightened. You can now water-bath your cans. This will only take 10-15 Min's. This is only to make sure that your pickles are bacteria free.
- After you have boiled your quart jars of pickles. You will need to use water-bath tongs to pull out as its very hot and let them cool. It takes about an hour or longer and you will hear the lids pop. This will let you know that you have a proper seal.
- Now that you have done all this.. it is best to store your jars in a dark and cool place and also in the refrigerator.
- Water bath canning allows you to store your food up to two years.
- This also makes a great Gift for a Christmas present or just someone that you know.
Nutrition on Pickles
|Serving size: 1 Cup Chopped or Diced|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 4 g||1%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
How Did Your Pickles Turn Out?
Was This Article Easy to Understand for Pickling Your Pickles?
Did You Know?
Did you know that cucumbers are extremely healthy? They are excellent for your skin. They are low in Saturated Fat, Low In cholesterol and Sodium. They have Magnesium, Pantethentic acid and magnesium. They are also a great source of Vitimina A.
Cucumbers have been know for making your skin look beautiful and taking the puffiness out of your eyes, and so so much more.
Plus cucumbers are so easy to grow. So wether or not you pickle your cucumbers or eat them raw it is a great healthy choice :)
How To Make Pickles From Cucumbers In Your Garden
In Conclusion, I hope that you enjoyed my article on how to make Pickles From Cucumbers In Your Garden. Remember this is very easy and you will Love canning your own foods. Canning your own foods eliminates GMO foods, Incorporating organic foods without pesticides chemicals or growth hormones. Not Only is it more healthier it is FREE and healthier to eat. Please check out my other amazing Hubs on Recipes, Nutrition and Health.
Just follow the Butterfly