How To Make Schwarzwaeldertorte / Black Forest Cake
Schwarzwaeldertorte / Black Forest Cake
Time to Share
As I was checking my hubs, I have noticed that I have not actually written an article about baking my own cakes except baking muffins and other desserts. I am not only passionate about writing but also in baking cakes. I have written many recipes from leftover fried rice to how to make smoothies but not about cakes. It makes me really wonder. Maybe because I baked not only for my family but also for orders that I didn´t write about it or it was just that I unconsciously didn´t want to share the recipe of my best selling cake.
BTW, I have worked before in a cafeteria and a cake shop and was taught by the owner who was a confectioner on how to bake and decorate cakes and pastries. As it was just a small cafeteria and only me as her help, the boss just ordered the chocolate sponge cakes from a company for me to fill and decorate them for Black Forest cakes.
This recipe is my own adaptation after many years of experimentation on how to make this authentic Schwarwaeldertorte / Black Forest cake and to what I have learned in the cafe where I worked in the 90´s.
Schwarzwaeldertorte or Black Forest Cake
Schwarzwäldertorte or Schwarzwaeldertorte is a German name of a Black Forest cake. This cake is named after the mountain region Schwarzwald (which means black forest in english) in the south of Germany. It is a chocolate layer cake with cherries and flavoured with Kirschwasser / Cherry liquor. It is then decorated with whipped cream and fresh or glazed cherry fruits.
I have tried eating Black Forest cakes in England, Ireland and in my home country Philippines but it was so sweet and I did not like it. The Black Forest cake made in Germany was still the best I have eaten.
Living for a few months in the Philippines made me earn money for baking European cakes for friends and relatives who ordered my cakes. Mind you, I brought Cherry liquor from Germany in order to have it real. Black Forest cake is the best selling cake that I had there. Some Filipina friends who are living in Germany and France were ordering Black Forest cakes for their relatives when I was in my hometown in the Philippines.
Kitchen Utensils Needed
- Mixing bowl
- Electric mixer
- Weighing scale
- Strainer / colander
- Cake rotating turntable
- Pastry bag
- Baking tin, 28 cm or 11 inches
My Electric Mixer
As a hobby baker, I have this kind of a stand electric mixer. It is really very helpful to me when mixing because I can still do other things while my ingredients are mixing each other. I love this utensil in my kitchen.
Ingredients for the Chocolate Cake
- 250 gram Flour, sieved
- 250 gram Sugar, brown or white
- 250 gram Margarine, soft, room temperature
- 4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 4 pieces Eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Chocolate Powder
How To Bake The Cake
- Heat the oven to 160°C or Gas 3. Meanwhile, mix the flour and baking powder in the mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar, margarine and the eggs. Blend them together with an electric mixer until the batter is smooth and light in color.
- Add the chocolate powder to the batter and blend well.
- Grease the baking tin with soft butter or margarine. Sprinkle a little flour in it and keep turning the baking tin until the flour is distributed at the bottom and the sides of the tin. It will make the cake easily get out.
- Spoon the cake batter into the baking tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean after picking it. Remember, every oven is different and so the time for baking might be lesser or more than 45 minutes. Let it cool or stay overnight before filling the Black Forest cake.
- Tip: Remember, it is a sponge cake and so don´t open the oven before the time has come to an end as it might sink.
Schwarzwaeldertorte / Black Forest Cake PhotosClick thumbnail to view full-size
Fighting against the hot weather!
These Black Forest cakes above were made when I was in my home in the Philippines. The weather was so hot, mostly 30°Celsius that I had difficulty in making the decorations as the double cream melted easily as you can see in the photos. I had to use the canned ready made cherry fillings and the glaze was melting as well. So I had to advice my clients to let the cakes in the fridge and just let them out before eating. The Black Forest cakes were also good eaten like ice cakes.
The very first Black Forest photo in this hub was made in Germany and so it was just perfect as the weather was not hot compared to my home country.
The Cherry Pudding Filling
- 1 liter double whipped cream
- 1-2 pack Gelatine or Sahnefest (use as prescribed)
- 1 bottle (ca. 680g) cherries without stones / seeds
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2-3 tablespoons cherry liqour
- You can use 1 can ready made cherrry fillings if you can buy that in your country.
- If you don´t like alcohol in your Black Forest Cake just brush the cake layers with cherry juice instead of cherry liqour.
Cooking the fillings!
- Sieve the cherries from the juice and set aside.
- Put the cherry juice in a cooking pot, cinnamon, add the sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir the liquid mixture while cooking it until it will boil. Put off the heat and add the sieved cherries and mix it well.
- Let the cherry filling cool before using.
- Whip the cream with the gelatine (don´t forget to follow the gelatine instruction) until hard enough for the filling of the Black Forest cake.
- The filling is ready for the cake.
Some of the IngredientsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Assemble The Black Forest Cake!
- Cut the chocolate sponge cake twice on your cake turntable and so you will have 3 layers or pieces of the sponge cake. By using the cake rotating turntable, it is easy for you to assemble your cake.
- Set the 2 top layers aside. Brush the lower part of the cake with the Cherry liquor. Then distribute the cherries on it but leave 1 inch from the edge.
- Put 1/3 of the whipped cream on top and make sure the first layer will be covered with the whipped cream.
- Then put the second layer on top of the whipped cream. Brush with the Cherry liquor on top. Add the next 1/ 3 of the whipped cream and spread it wisely.
- Put the last layer of the sponge cake on top of it and if you like you can brush with cherry liquour on it (if you still have) and add the rest of the whipped cream on top and on the side of the cake. Press the chocolate shavings on the side of the cake.
- Then decorate the top with the use of piping bag the way you like it with the remaining whipped cream and some fresh, glazed or maraschino cherries and chocolate shavings in the middle of the cake. Put it in the fridge until you need it.
Rotating turntable for making a cake is a must. It makes decorating a cake more easier than not having this. I love this gadget, too.
Black Forest Cake with Cherry Pudding
Small Black Forest Cake
The recipe above is for 10-16 persons depends on how big your slices are. It is good to make for a huge family or for a party but if you want to make a small Black Forest cake, you only have to use the half of the ingredients. In this case it is only for 4-6 persons. You have to make only 2 layers instead of 3.
I have made this small size cake last Easter and as I had a lot of cherry pudding filling, I did not decorate the above of this cake with whipped cream instead I served the cake with this fillings on top.
I hope you will try this Schwarzwaeldertorte / Black Forest cake and please tell me how it goes. Enjoy baking!
A Latest Birthday Black Forest Cake
How To Cut and Assemble Your Cake
Decorating with Pastry Bag
© 2015 Thelma Alberts