- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
How To Make Vietnamese Stuffed Tofu (Dau Hu Don Thit)
This is a popular comfort food in East and Southeast Asia. Basically stuffed tofu is tofu filled with meat paste. There countless lot of variants of this tofu dish such as Yong Tau Foo (Malaysia), Tahu Bakso (Indonesia), stuffed tofu dim sum (Chinese/Cantonese) but my favorite is Vietnamese stuffed tofu (Dau Hu Don Thit). If Malaysian enjoy Yong Tau Foo in soup, Indonesian love tahu bakso in soup or with spicy peanut sauce, Chinese like their stuffed tofu dim sum with hoisin sauce then Vietnamese celebrate it with tomato based sauce. What a unique and great pairing!.
Here is is my version of Vietnamese stuffed tofu. Simple but tasty and healthy. You can replace ground pork to your favorite ground meat. I pefer steaming it than pan-frying. I use ready to use fried tofu to simplify the cooking process but you are always welcome to use fresh tofu.
What You Need
Serves 6 - 8
2 packs of fried tofu (16 pieces)
12 shrimps, peeled and deveined
1/3 cup ground pork
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp sugar
5 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp vinegar
½ cup water
2 tbsp corn flour mixed with ¼ cup cold water
How to Fix
- Use a cleaver to mince shrimps. It can be coarse or fine paste, depend on your personal preference. I prefer a fine one.
- In a mixing bowl, combine minced shrimp, pork, cornstarch, salt, pepper, sugar, egg and oyster sauce. Set aside.
- Slice tofu pieces in the opening and use a small spoon to hollow out . Then fill the cavity with a tablespoon of pork paste. Please make sure do not over-stuff.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tomato sauce. In a small saucepan, combine water, sugar, vinegar and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Then add cornstarch mixture. Stir for a minute to thicken. Transfer from the heat.
- Place the stuffed tofu in a steamer and steam for 15 minutes. Transfer tofu to serving dish and cover with tomato sauce on top.
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Easy and Quick Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe (Pho Ga)
- Vietnamese Grilled Pork with Rice Noodles Recipe (Bun Cha)
- Vietnamese Jicama and Chinese Sausage Spring Rolls Recipe (Bo Bia)
- Easy and Healthy Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls Recipe (Goi Cuan)
- Vietnamese Grilled Lime Chicken (Ga Nuong Chanh) Recipe. How To Make Grilled Chicken On Skewers!
- Vietnamese Cashew Chicken (Ga Xao Hot Dieu) Recipe
- How to Make Easy and Spicy Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken (Ga Xao Xa Ot)