How To Prepare The Best Melon Soup Recipe
Melon Soup Recipe
Melon soup is one of the most popular soup recipes in West Africa. The main ingredient is gotten from the seed of watermelon itself. When it’s dry under the sun for some days, it’s then filtered and the back is peeled off. After peeling, it’s then sun-dried again for 2days and grinded. Melon soup is easy to prepare. The following are the important ingredient to prepare a tasteful melon soup;
- Melon seeds(grinded) 600g
- Red Palm Oil (3 cooking spoons)
- Cow meat
- Fish (sun-dried fish)
- Crayfish (or grinded prawn)
- Pepper and Salt to taste
- Vegetable (Pumpkin leaves or Bitter leaf)
- Soup Seasoning Powder
Remember that each ingredient play an important role to bring out the real taste of an African melon soup.
Steps To Prepare an African Melon Soup Recipe
- First of all, put the dry fish in hot water for about 30 minutes. If the dry fish is very soft, you can just soak them in cool water till you can break them apart with your hands.
- When they are soft, remove the bones and cut them in smaller pieces.
- Steam the cow meat and beef for forty minutes.
- Put some water in a clean pot and put it on your cooker.
- Allow the water to boil and bubble, then add some palm oil into the boiling water (a yellowish coloring will be formed.
- After about 15 minutes, add your steamed cow meat and beef to the boiling oil.
- Add a teaspoon of salt to it and close the pot. Allow it to cook for about thirty minutes.
- After thirty minutes, add the grinded melon seed into the boiling pot and stir a little.
- Add some powdered soup spices to it and leave for three minutes.
- Add the vegetables.
Note: Don’t allow vegetables to boil for more than two minutes. Once the vegetable is added, remove the soup from the cooker after two minutes. Serve with pounded yam or prepared cassava powder.