- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
How to Boil Corn on the Cob
I love Corn on the Cob
A tasty buttery starch goes great with barbecue. While many barbecue lovers will go with a tasty baked potato (I love them as well), while in season, we'll prepare corn on the cob on the stove top to go with a beef brisket, pulled pork, and salmon.
Here's the easiest way to make crisp corn on the cob in just a few minutes!
Boiled Corn on the Cob
Cook Time for Corn on the Cob
Ingredients for Boiled Corn on the Cob
- Corn on the Cob, Shucked Corn
- Dash Salt
- To Taste Butter, coat to taste
- Pot Water, enough so corn ears float
Instructions for Boiling Corn on the Cob
- Begin with whole ears of corn. Shuck each ear by removing the husk and the silk. You may want to shuck the corn over a paper bag because it can be a bit messy.
- Place a pot 3/4 full of water on the stove. The pot should be large enough so the corn will float in the water. Add a dash of salt to the water.
- Bring the pot of water to a boil.
- Add all the ears of corn to the boiling water. Cover the pot with a lid. Let them boil for 8 to 10 minutes long. Smaller ears of corn take less time to cook than large ears.
- To test an ear of corn for doneness, remove one ear from the pot with tongs. Run cold water over it and take a small bite. Corn that is full cooked will bright in color and have a little milk to it. If it wrinkles, it's been cooked too long.
- When done boiling, remove all the ears and let them dry in a straining bowl.
- Serve with butter.
How long to boil fresh corn on the cob?
Corn Cob Size
Time in Minutes to Boil
1/2 ear of corn
1/2 ear of corn
1 small ear of corn
1 large ear of corn
Boiling water and tongs
I once saw my mother pull corn out of a boiling pot. It's a bad idea. Use tongs or thick rubber gloves to remove the ears from a boiling pot.
Using Corn Holders to Put Butter on the Cob
The best way to butter corn is by using corn holders inserted in the end of the cob and turning the ends back and forth while the cob spins on the top of a cube of butter.
In some households this technique is frowned upon, but it is the best way to do it!
Corn Cob Serving Size
In our family adults and kids eat an ear each. Our kids really like corn. However, I think most kids will be satisfied with half an ear. Tip: Snap the corn in half with your hands before boiling. It takes a little strength, but is pretty easy to break a cob in two.