How to Cook Brown Rice: An Easy, Foolproof Method | Brown Rice Recipe
Five Reasons to Eat Brown Rice
- Brown rice is a good source of protein. A one-cup serving contains about 5 grams of protein.
- Brown rice is high in fiber. The American Dietetic Association recommends 25 to 35 grams of fiber per day. A one-cup serving of brown rice has 5 grams of fiber.
- Brown rice is filling. The fiber in brown rice helps you feel fuller with fewer calories, which can be beneficial for weight management.
- Brown rice is a complex carbohydrate that provides 15 essential nutrients, including B-vitamins, niacin and potassium.
- Brown rice is a whole grain. Research has shown that eating more whole grains can reduce the risk of heart disease and Type 2 diabetes.
How to Cook Brown Rice: An Easy, Foolproof Method
I love brown rice but always had a hard time cooking it just right until I found this recipe. This is absolutely the best and easiest way to cook brown rice. I prefer my brown rice to be creamy and not too chewy, so I cover the dish with aluminum foil, then remove the cover for about the last ten minutes. Absolutely delicious!
This recipe can be made with so many variations. I often add onions, grated carrots, green peas, and herbs. It's a simple side dish or a great base for a main dish. It can also be cooked with chicken breasts or pork chops on top to make a complete one dish meal. Use your imagination and your favorite herbs and seasonings; it is so versatile!
For an even healthier version, substitute olive oil for the butter, or use just one tablespoon of either. Low-sodium broth can be also be used.
TIP: I have all three of the casserole dishes shown below and they work great for this recipe. You can order them through Amazon and have them delivered to your door -- so easy!
For a change of pace, add any of these tasty ingredients:
- grated zucchini
- grated carrots
- fresh herbs - dill, rosemary, basil, parsley (cook's discretion!)
- frozen or canned peas
- chopped onions
- sauteed celery
- cubed squash (butternut is particularly good)
- chopped bacon
- grated cheddar cheese (kids love this!)
- broccoli, grated or finely chopped
Oven Brown Rice
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth OR 1 cup beef broth
1 can chicken broth (14.5 ounce)
1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a 2 quart casserole dish, mix together rice, vegetable or beef broth, chicken broth, butter, garlic, and seasoned salt. Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 60 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Note: If you like your rice creamier, cover the casserole with a lid or aluminum foil for 50 minutes, then cook uncovered until the liquid is absorbed.
Other Articles of Interest
- Bison Recipes: Ground Bison Meat Loaf - Healthy Comfort Food
Many Americans fondly remember their Mom's meat loaf -- a tasty mixture of ground beef, bread or crackers,...
- Healthy Ways to Thicken Soup: Thickening Techniques
Learn how to use healthy ingredients to thicken soup: vegetables, beans, rice, potatoes, flax, and bread.
- Champagne: Recipes, Health Benefits, and a Brief History
First, a disclaimer: I am not an expert on champagne. I drink it maybe once a year on New Year's Eve. Before researching this article, all I knew about champagne is that it's bubbly, it tastes good, and it makes a party feel ... special. So, you ask,
- Bison Meat: Tasty, Versatile, and Good for You, Too
Bison meat is a healthy and tasty alternative to beef that comes in as many forms as beef: bison steaks, bison tenderloins, ground bison, bison roasts, and bison ribs. Learn why grass-fed, hormone-free bison meat is a better choice for health-conscio
- Organic, Fair Trade Chocolate -- Buy it Online
Buy organic, fair trade chocolate online. It's a smooth, sweet, and sinful, a delectable indulgence; and when you buy organic, free trade chocolate you can enjoy your chocolate guilt-free.
- How I Conquered Fibromyalgia Without Prescription Drugs
Five simple remedies used to cure fibromyalgia. Includes specific natural remedies such as valerian, siberian ginseng, St. John's wort, meditation, and nutrition.