Recipe from Crete - Cretan Snails Buburisti
Cretan Snails Recipe Introduction
Greece, summer, sea, islands, exquisite food based on extra virgin Greek olive oil. All ingredients are natural and free of preservatives. When cooking snails in Crete women and men wake up early in the morning and gather them from the fields of the island, especially after the rain. Snails cannot be eaten in this stage they have to stay for few days hanged from the tree in a special net. So actually preparing snails can take few days and not 1 or 2 hours. Such snails are pure and delicious in comparison to those that are sold in the grocery stores.
The bellow recipe has been prepared many times by my mother-in-low, who cooks them perfectly. The secret is actually well known to all of us.
- Pure, Organic ingredients are the key to any delicious meal.
- Prep time: 1 hour
- Cook time: 50 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 50 min
- Yields: Serves 3-4 people
Ingredients for Snail Buburisti
- 1kg snails
- 1 glass of red wine
- 50-70g flour
- 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon of rosemary
- 1 middle size cup of vinegar
Cooking Snails Step By Step
- We need to separate live snails from dead before cooking. Place snails within the water for 20-30 min. Live snails will start showing their heads. Snails that don't show any movement can't be consumed. Remove them from the water. Wash the rest snails thoroughly in order to remove any dirt.
- Boil around 2-3L of water and add 2 teaspoons of salt. Place the snails into the boiling water and let them boil for about 3-5 min.
- Add the vinegar and let them for another 10 min. Remove snails and wash them under the cold water.
- Add flour to the snails and fry them in olive oil. Make sure when placing snails the shell is up and the "nozzle" is down
- At last 5 min of frying, add a glass of wine and let snails to boil one last time.
- Add pepper, rosemary and serve with its own sauce.
Important Nutrition facts For Snails Recipe
|Serving size: 250g|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 40 g||13%|
|Sugar 8 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 52 mg||17%|
|Sodium 470 mg||20%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Check out my other recipes and articles
- 13 Things From The Past that will Make New Generatio...
13 interesting items from past few decades that might make new generation feel odd. Do you remember all those forgotten items that we used to have in our houses? Check them out.
- Khashlama - Armenian Recipe
Bellow you can find an authentic armenian recipe of the dish called khashlama. The dish has been prepared by Armenians for centuries, since the Arch of Noah reached the mountain Ararat.
- Recipe - How to Cook Beef Brain
Beef brain is delicious and exquisite dish. Many people around the world are cooking beef brain using different techniques. This recipe is probably "the king of them all". Try it !!
- Criadillas Recipe - Bull Fries
The recipe is interesting and easy to execute. The taste of this dish will make you include it into your favorite food list. Cook Bull fries using the simple recipe below.