The Best Fresh Asian Spring Roll Recipe
A Fresh Recipe for the Common Spring Roll
This is an Asian recipe, but have no fear, all the ingredients can be found at your local supermarket.
You can find this exotic dish in restaurants which serve Asian-influenced food, but it's often expensive since it's considered a specialty item. They're less expensive in Vietnamese or Thai restaurants than "fusion" restaurants, however. Just a tip if you're looking to try them at a restaurant first.
This vegetable-filled spring roll is highly recommended to all dieters, weight-watchers, and health-conscious individuals. The fresh and crunchy tang of this savory dish is guaranteed to be addictive.
Even the kids and the picky eaters will love them. But don't take my word for it, try it out for yourself.
You have 3 recipes to follow, so the actual cooking will be easier if you prepared everything beforehand.
- Teflon pan
- Wooden spatula
- Cooking spoon
- Clear plastic food wrapper or foil
- Wide platter or flat tray
Recipe of Filling for Fresh Spring Roll
- ¼ cup of vegetable cooking oil
- ¾ cup sweet potato, peeled diced in ½" x ½" (Note: This is not the common potato.)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, crushed
- 1 piece of medium-sized onion, sliced thinly
- ¼ teaspoon of annatto powder
- 1 cup of green beans, blanched and diced (Note: To blanch, put the vegetable in boiling water and remove after 1 minute.)
- 2 ½ cups of bean sprouts, rinsed thoroughly
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- Iodized salt and finely ground white pepper, to taste
- Crisp lettuce leaves, washed and strained
- Heat the oil and fry the diced sweet potatoes until fork-tender. (It is cooked when you can prick it with a fork.)
- Push the cooked sweet potatoes to one side of the pan. Sauté garlic until golden and onions until fragrant, over low heat. Sprinkle the annatto powder and blend thoroughly.
- Add the green beans, the bean sprouts and the oyster sauce.
- Sprinkle the salt and ground pepper, according to your taste. Stir-fry the vegetables until cooked. Set aside to cool.
- For meat lovers: add sautéed ground pork or chicken flakes. For fish lovers: add fried and flaked fish fillet. For tofu lovers: add fried and diced tofu.
Recipe for Wrapper of Fresh Spring Roll
- 1 cup of sifted flour
- ½ cup of cornstarch
- 1 ½ cup of water (not hot or cold)
- 2 pieces of eggs (yolk and egg white intact)
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable cooking oil
- In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients until well blended together.
- Mix in the slightly-beaten eggs gradually.
- Follow with oil and small amount of water.
- Stir continuously until the mixture turns into a smooth batter.
- Heat the Teflon pan over low fire. Pour ¼ cup of batter all over the surface of the pan. Cook the round-shaped wrapper without burning or drying its edges.
- Repeat this cooking method on the remaining batter. Add more batter, if a thicker wrapper is desired.
- Spread the cooked wrappers on flat plates to avoid crinkling and crumpling. Set aside.
Recipe of Sauce for Fresh Spring Roll
- 6 tablespoons of cornstarch
- ½ cup of sugar (preferably white)
- 2 cups of water (not hot or cold)
- 4 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of toasted or roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of garlic, finely crushed
- In a small pot, combine sugar, cornstarch, water, and soy sauce.
- Stir constantly over medium heat and until the sauce thickens.
Create Your Own Fresh Spring Roll
- Spread a curly lettuce leaf on one side of the round wrapper. Put 2-3 leaves if lettuce is of the small variety.
- Scoop 2-3 tablespoonful of filling on the center of the lettuce leaf.
- Roll carefully. To make it look more appetizing and attractive, seal only one end of the spring roll and show the edges of the crispy lettuce leaf at the other end. Serve with the brown sauce in a very small bowl, garnished with the crushed garlic and chopped peanuts.
- Or pour a generous amount of brown sauce on the roll and some on the plate. Sprinkle crushed garlic and chopped peanuts as garnishing. Peanut butter can also be offered to add variety.
How to Make a Fresh Spring Roll
Fresh Spring Rolls - California Style
- Spring Rolls - How to Make Thai Fresh Spring Rolls
Learn the simple procedure on how to cook healthier and more appetizing fresh spring rolls, which are so much different from the regular spring roll. These Thai recipes provide step-by-step instructions that are so easy to follow.
- Fresh spring rolls with shrimp - MayoClinic.com
A non-fry fresh spring roll recipe. Visit here to learn more about the new twist for these healthy vegetable fried dish. Know how to cook your own fresh spring rolls to experience the clean and crispy taste of fresh vegetables.
- Vegetarian Fresh Spring Rolls Recipe | Recipezaar
A delectable, cleansing and satisfying gastronomic experience. These health-filled spring roll is a vegetarian's dream of weeknights' evening meals. This could be the main dish or just an addition to Asian-influenced meals.