- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Seafood Recipes
How to Cook Tilapia Fish Dinner - Healthy, Delicious AND Inexpensive
Tilapia with Yellow Rice Recipe
I've always loved to cook but there was a time several years ago when I never cooked fish. I don't know why. It was never appealing to prepare it. I would eat it in restaurants or at the homes of family members or friends, but would never prepare it myself. For many reasons, including wanting to maintain good health, my preferences have matured. If you are vegetarian (not vegan), not allergic to seafood, and not pregnant and having to limit seafood intake, then you might enjoy this recipe. If you are an occasional meat eater or a frequent meat eater that is trying to cut down, especially on red meat to lower fat intake, then this is also a recipe for you!
There are so many types of fish (cod, tuna, tilapia, etc.) and other seafood (calamari, scallops, shrimp, lobster, etc.) and ways available to cook them. This recipe calls for tilapia specifically, a very delicious and economical fish to prepare. Rich in healthy omega-3s, It can be purchased raw, cleaned and scaled in many supermarkets, stores, wholesale venues that carry food in addition to clothing and other supplies. You can often find great deals on groceries in retail stores that sell much more than groceries. One whole tilapia can cost little more than $2! If you have experience with going fishing as a hobby and catching your own, then great! For this recipe, you want to serve up plates of one tilapia (with rice) per (adult) person. This will make a very filling portion. You can feed a family of 4 for just around $10. Now, didn't I say it is economical? Below are all the ingredients you will need, your guide to cooking a great tilapia dinner tonight! Use of spices can be changed to suit your own tastes or to avoid buying more spices in addition to what you already keep in your home on a daily basis:
1. Take as many tilapia as you would like to prepare and thaw partially, if frozen. This can be achieved by soaking them in a large bowl of water for about an hour.
2. Even if you use fresh not frozen tilapia, already cleaned in a grocery store, you should rinse it with water, a tablespoon of white vinegar and rub the body of the fish with fresh lemon or lime.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 425F
4. Sparingly sprinkle the fish with the following spices (about half a tspn of each on every fish):
5. Spread a tablespoon of olive oil in a large baking pan or casserole dish
6. Place each fish in the pan side by side and place pan in oven.
7. 25 minutes later, remove pan from oven, pour 1 1/2 cups of water into the pan, surrounding the fish. Add 1 1/2 cups of uncooked brown or white rice to the water. Brown is the healthier choice. Sprinkle a bit more tumeric into the water with rice to achieve the yellow color. If you choose to use a pre-packaged box of yellow rice, then know that it already contains many spices and a lot of sodium. Reduce or eliminate the salt you would use on the fish when preparing it.
8. Making sure the rice surrounding the fish is evenly distributed in the pan and completely covered with water (you may have to stir a little), place the pan back in the oven for 20 additional minutes.
9. Done. Enjoy your meal!
This recipe does not include a serving of vegetables, so you might want to add some veggies on the side or eat a fresh salad at the start of the meal.
While this recipe calls for placing the rice in the same pan with the fish, you can cook it separately from the fish if you prefer.