- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
How to Fix Dinners That Are Quick, Easy & Budget Effective
Quick & Easy Recipes For Finicky Eaters
I came from a large family, four brothers, one sister and both parents. Growing up, we had to eat everything on our plate and didn’t have the opportunity to dish-up our own servings. If we would have, I wouldn’t have had to sit at the dinner table for hours or pleaded with my brothers to eat what I didn’t like. I couldn’t stand onions or cooked cabbage. These were two things that made me gag. If my brother, the one that loved all food wasn't at my rescue, I would gulp a large swallow of milk with each tormenting bite.
When I had children of my own, I swore if they gagged they wouldn’t have to eat whatever caused them to gag. I did make them try everything their father and I ate. The rule in our household was, try however many bites they were old. If they were five years old, they tried five bites but if they gagged the rule didn’t apply. This way they at least tried everything. This allowed their taste buds to grow with them.
Do you have someone that doesn’t like onions? How about someone that doesn’t like enchilada sauce? Take a deep breath, relax and check out my recipe, Mom’s Enchiladas. This is a quick and easy recipe to adapt to the finicky appetites. Of course when my mom fixed these, they had the onions. To this day, I fix mine without the vegetable that makes me want to spit them out or gag.
Easy as 1,2,3....
Quick & Easy Finger Food
Ask yourself these questions:
- Is it my turn to take something in for the office party?
- Do I need to make something the kids will like?
- Do I need to make something quick and light for lunch or dinner?
- Do I need to take something to a potluck or party but chips and dip will not do?
If you can answer yes to 1 out of 4 of the above then try this recipe.
Need: Crockpot, Large Slotted Spoon
1/2 of 32 oz. Grape Jelly,
32oz. bottle of Barbecue Sauce,
2 packages of Little Sausages/Smokies
Scoop out ½ Jar of Jelly into crockpot, add 32 oz. of barbecue sauce and then mix well. Turn crockpot on medium and add the little smokies. Cook until completely heated through. If need be, cook on high then turn down to low once food is hot. Smokies are already pre-cooked so they just need to be heated thoroughly taste delicious.
Serving Size: 5 links
Quick Time Eat At Home:
Don’t have a crockpot? Try the following:
*If short on time, skip the crockpot and follow the same steps in a medium pan on the stove.
Hint: macaroni & cheese as a side dish or one of your favorite side dishes.
Easy as 1,2,3 Ingredients!
The Bigger the Crowd, Less Little Smokies
Mom's EnchiladaClick thumbnail to view full-size
Ingredients for Enchilada Dinner
- 1 lb. Hamburger, Ground beef
- 1 can Enchilada Sauce
- 1 large package Shredded Sharp Cheddar / Mexican Cheese
- 1 package Small Tortilla Shells
- 1 onion
- Lightly spray sides & bottom of pan. Pam Spray or any off brand, Original flavor
How to Make Enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In frying pan, cook hamburger and then drain fat.
- In large frying pan warm enchilada sauce. It comes in original, mild & hot (choose one)
- Grease 12 x 13 in. glass or metal casserole dish with original Pam cooking spray. (For easy clean-up)
- Dip both sides of floured tortilla shells in sauce. (only dip for the ones that like sauce. Save however many that don't want sauce for the end for easy location later.)
- Place tortilla shell in dish. (First one, half over the handle and half in the dish fill with two tablespoons of hamburger, onions, cheese and then roll leaving seam of shell facing bottom of pan. Second one will be placed half on the first shell and half in dish fill with two tablespoons of hamburger, onions, cheese and then roll same as first. Third, half on second shell and half in dish and so on and so forth.)
- ***(Only onions for those that like. Cheese can be sharp cheddar Cheese or Mexican cheese.)
- (Keep the ones that do not have the sauce on the end, same with the onions. You can add a toothpick to the end to keep them separate.) Pour any extra sauce over the top, except for the ones you don't want sauce.
- Cover all of them with the left over cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until cheese is melted and they are heated throughout.
If Budget Allows...
* If budget allows, have Zesty Italian dressing handy incase someone would like to try pouring this added flavor on top of their enchilada.
* Or try toping with lettuce, avocado, and sour cream.
Quick Side Dish
Open 1 can of refried beans.
Heat on medium in small pan until hot enough to eat.
Serve and top with shredded cheese of your choice.
Serves: 2 - 4 people
Asked For No Onions But Got Them Anyway
For those that do not like onions, have you ever asked a restaurant to hold the onions but they put them in your food anyway?
Step OneClick thumbnail to view full-size
Step TwoClick thumbnail to view full-size
Step ThreeClick thumbnail to view full-size
Step FourClick thumbnail to view full-size
Step FiveClick thumbnail to view full-size
Pan of EnchiladaClick thumbnail to view full-size
Budget Effective, Super Easy & Extra Quick
The prices of these meals depend on your demographics and family size. If you have a small family, put leftovers in the refrigerator for a second meal.
The following meal is what some people call, Poor Man's Meal. Our family called this one, what it is, Hamburger & Beans.
1 pound of ground beef
1 can pork 'n beans
Fry hamburger, drain meat, add beans and mix. On Medium heat cook until beans and meat are warm. Add ketchup for taste and mix well.
* If you wish, you can add salt, pepper, and Miracle Whip to your bowl of Hamburger & Beans.
How to fix a quick & easy pasta dish.
1 can of Tuna
½ box Small Sea Shell Pasta
1 can Peas
Miracle Whip 2/3 cup (less if you’re not a fan of Miracle Whip.)
Sugar ¼ cup
Milk ¼ cup
* Cook shells as instructed on the box.
* While Sea Shells are cooking, mix Miracle Whip, sugar and milk together in a bowl until mixed well.
* Set aside.
* When pasta is ready, drain water off.
* Drain water or oil off the tuna and then add to tuna to the pasta.
* Drain water off the peas, rinse peas and then add to the shells and tuna.
* Mix the Tuna, pasta and Peas together and then mix in the dressing.
Substitute: Small Elbow noodles for small Sea Shells.
Makes 4 servings.
I like this dish cold also.