- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
How to Fry an Egg - Make Fried Eggs Sunny Side Up or Sunny Side Down?
Have fun making fried eggs
Learn How to Fry an Egg
There are many advantages to learning how to fry an egg. This may sound simple or even silly but you'll be amazed as to how easy and great tasting a simple fried egg can be, when done properly. Badly fried eggs can be disgusting and put you off eggs for life. But nicely cooked fried eggs are delicious and can be a great snack or as part of your breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Fried eggs are a form of fast food and can be prepared and cooked in under 3 minutes, with minimal washing up afterwards. It's cheap to make yourself a fried egg and it's easy to turn it into a snack by simply adding some bread or a roll.
All you need to make yourself a fried egg is a little vegetable or sunflower oil, an egg and some salt and pepper for seasoning. Rather than buying a sandwich for lunch for between $4-$8 you could make yourself a fried egg sandwich for a fraction of the cost, and avoid the long line at the sandwich store.
Eggs are aslo low in calories and yet still delicious.
You can make fried eggs fun for kids by using an egg ring to make the fried egg have a specific shape like a perfect circle or a flower. Egg rings are also great if you want to fry more than one egg at a time in the same pan. By using an egg ring you will keep the eggs separate and stop them from cooking together.
You can also make fried eggs special for someone you love by making them in the shape of a love heart or a star. A love heart fried egg can be a great present for a girlfriend on Valentine's day!
Sunny Side Up Eggs on Toast
Fried Eggs - Sunny Side Up
Some people like their eggs sunny side up and to look like little suns on their plates. This is the easiest type of fried egg to cook as it doesn't involve flipping the egg over.
Add a little oil to the frying pan and heat the pan. Make sure the oil is hot before you crack your egg into the pan. If the oil is cold the egg will sit in the cold oil and will look unappealing and unappetizing. The hotter the oil the less oil will be absorbed by the egg before it cooks and the healthier your fried egg will be for you.
Once you crack the egg into the pan, sprinkle a little salt and pepper over the top, according to your taste. Cook the egg for a minute on a high heat. until the whites have cooked and are fully white with no opaque parts. Once you see the edge of the fried egg is beginning to crisp and curl up and away from the pan your fried egg is done. You can remove the egg from the pan with a spatula.
The yolk of the egg will be cooked on the bottom, where the egg was touching the frying pan but the top of the yolk should be runny when you eat it. However, the yolk should be hot and delicious. If you want your yolk to be firmer, cook your fried egg for another 30 seconds.
Sunny side up eggs can be delicious.
Sunny Side Down Egg
Fried Eggs - Sunny Side Down
I have to admit that I am no longer a fan of sunny side up eggs due to some food poisoning I experienced while on holiday. Everything smelled and tasted like bad eggs, so I have to eat my eggs well cooked. If you are the same and like your fried yolks well cooked, or you are pregnant, then you should make your fried eggs sunny side down.
It's not as hard as many people think it is to flip the egg over, as long as you remember not to flip it like a pancake!!
Follow the same instructions for making the sunny side up fried egg except, instead of removing it to your plate, you want to slide the spatula underneath the egg to turn it over.
The best and easiest way to turn a fried egg over, and not break the yolk, is to place the spatula underneath the fried egg as possible. When you try to turn the egg over, make sure the spatula is underneath the yolk of the egg. Then turn the egg over, keeping the egg as close to the pan as possible. Turning the egg high in the air will make the yolk crack and you could splash hot oil into your face, hands and body.
Cook the egg for approximately 30 seconds on this side and then serve. The egg will be hot and the yolk should be fully cooked through when you make your eggs sunny side down.
How Do You Prefer Your Fried Eggs?
How to Make the Perfect Fried Egg Video
Tips and Tricks to Making the Perfect Fried Egg
As you practice these cooking skills in the preparation of a fried egg you may find that you want to experiment a little. Here are some pointers on how to make the perfect fried egg and this is the way I like to make my fried eggs. It's also the way my family asks for them to be done whenever they stay over and want me to make them a full English breakfast.
1. Never make a fried egg in Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It's disgusting and unless you want to eat green eggs I'd avoid it like at all costs. Yes I have seen this error made and it is not pretty or tasty. Fried eggs taste better when made with vegetable oil, sunflower oil or normal olive oil.
2. When cracking the egg into the pan, I normally use the edge of the pan to crack my egg. When you open the shell to let the egg fall out make sure you do this close to the pan. You don't want to do this high above the pan as you could splash the oil and burn yourself. I made that very mistake the first time I made a fried egg and I still have the scars on the inside of my left arm to prove it.
3. Have eveything else prepared before you cook your fried egg. Cooking your fried egg will not take long. The last thing you want is for your fried egg to sit there while you make the rest of your sandwich, butter your bread or make the rest of breakfast, lunch or dinner. I don't find cold fried eggs appetizing and I don't think your guests will either.
4. Some of my family likes their fried eggs sunny side up but they still want their yolk cooked a little more on the top. To compromise, and also for fussy eaters, I use a spoon to carefully splash a little of the oil from the pan over the yolk to cook it a little on the top. This is my secret tip to making delicious and perfect sunny side up eggs.