How to Make Bread and Butter Pickles: An Illustrated Guide
Try These for Your Next Family Gathering
Ingredients for Bread and Butter Pickles
- 25 to 30 medium cucumbers (we used about 12 cucumbers in these pictures, so a 1/2 recipe)
- 8 large white onions
- 2 large sweet peppers (we omitted these, as my mother is allergic to them)
- 1/2 cup salt, for mixing into vegetables
- 5 cups cider vinegar
- 5 cups white sugar (2 1/2 lbs.)
- 2 T. whole mustard seed
- 1 t. turmeric
- 1/2 t. whole cloves
Note: This recipe is adapted from a 1970s version of: Kerr Home Canning and Freezing Book, and will yield 14 pints.
Necessary Equipment for These Bread and Butter Pickles
- A boiling waterbath or steam canner
- Canning jars (any size), with appropriate lids
- Jar lifter
- Tongs, or magnetic lid lifter
- Sauce pot, for boiling pickling solution and heating pickles
- Large crock or bowl, for salting vegetables
- Large collander, for draining cucumbers
- Canning funnel (has a wider mouth which fits just inside jar rims)
Step One - Salt Cucumbers, Onions, and Peppers
Step Two - Drain Cucumbers; Heat Them In Vinegar Pickling Solution
Step Three - Prepare Your Jars and Canning Equipment
Step Four - Pack Pickles into Jars; Process in a Boiling Water Bath Canner
For Dressing Up Your Pickles
Something Fun to Try - an Interesting Preservation Process
Canning Jars and Canning Lids
More Pickle Recipes
- Quick and Easy Refrigerator Pickles Recipe ( BBQ Sid...
Make up a quick batch of these garden pickles (with whatever is fresh and tasty) and you've got a perfect side dish for any BBQ meal!
- How to Make Naturally Fermented Pickles. Pro Biotic ...
Forget vinegar pickles - try this easy natural pickle and be amazed at how great a probiotic pickle can taste!