- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
How to Make Bubble and Squeak From Leftover Vegetables
Bubble and Squeak is a Quick and Easy Recipe
Bubble and Squeak is a traditional British dish which is a surprisingly tasty way of using up all the vegetables left over from your Sunday roast dinner.
Not only is Bubble and Squeak delicious, but it is particularly satisfying to know that you have been able to use up food which would otherwise have been thrown away, if, like me, you do try to avoid wasting food.
A Plate of Bubble and Squeak
What is Bubble and Squeak?
Basically, it's a mixed vegetable fry-up, using cooked root vegetables, such as potatoes, carrots, swedes and turnips, together with cooked greens and onions. Even strong-tasting vegetables like Brussels sprouts and broccoli can be used, as well as a variety of cabbage and other greens.
Bubble and squeek is definitely a beginners' recipe.
Bubble and Squeak Vegetables
How do You Eat Bubble and Squeek?
Sometimes it is eaten as an accompaniment to a fry-up breakfast. This might be:
- bacon and egg, or
- bacon, egg, and sausage
- bacon, egg, sausage and tomato
- bacon, egg, sausage, and baked beans
- bacon, sausage, tomato and baked beans.
All of these are delicious with bubble and squeek.
Sometimes bubble and squeek is eaten as an accompaniment to a main meal. For instance:
- Sausage, egg and chips
- Cold slices of meat
And don't forget, you can eat Bubble and Squeek on its own
Do rate this bubble and squeak recipe to help other viewers
Cook Time for Bubble and Squeek
Ingredients for Bubble and Squeek
- Potatoes, You need at least 50% potato or root vegetables, so you may need to cook an extra potato or two
- Other root vegetables, (optional - it's just as nice without them)
- Greens, any type
- Onions, (optional)
- 4 Tablespoons Olive oil, (you can use other cooking oil, but olive oil is the healthiest)
Mashed Vegetables for Bubble and Squeak
Instructions for Making Bubble and Squeek
- Mash all the cooked vegetables together. there should be about 50% root vegetables, and 50% greens, with or without onion. If there aren't enough potatoes, cook some more.
- Heat up two tablespoons of olive oil in the frying pan, and then add all of the mixture to the frying pan, squashing it down to spread it out. Fry it gently for about 10 minutes, making sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan, by running the lifter under the mixture. Then turn the mixture over, add the rest of the olive oil to the base of the frying pan (lifting the mixture a bit at a time to enable the oil to completely cover the pan base). Fry it until the bottom is crispy, making sure that it doesn't stick to the bottom by running the lifter under the mixture.
- Serve on plates, as an accompaniment to other food, or on its own.
Take This Poll About Bubble and Squeak
Have you ever tried bubble and squeak?
More Basic Recipes Which are Easy for Beginners:
- Learn How to Cook Vegetables - Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts
Learn How to Cook Vegetables Properly - Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower and Broccoli: This is Part 3 in my series about basic cooking of common foods. If you have just started living on your own, there may be times when you know roughly how to
- How to Cook Vegetables - Onions
Do you know how to cook onions? I'm sure that lots of people start adult life with very little knowledge of how to cook basic food, so this article about cooking Onions is one of a series of articles I have written to explain what you need to know to
- How to Cook Vegetables - Potatoes, Carrots, Swedes and Parsnips
How to Cook Vegetables Properly - Part 2 in my Series - Potatoes, Carrots, Swedes and Parsnips. Many people think cooking is difficult, but actually there are many quick and easy meals. Here's how to cook these common basic vegetables
- How to Make Leek and Potato Soup
An easy recipe, suitable for beginners, telling you how to make delicious leek and potato soup. You only need leeks, onions and potatoes and a few common flavorings, so you won't be hard-pressed to find lots of obscure ingredients; and the method is
- How to Make The Perfect Omelette
How to make an omelette - a quick and easy way to cook cheese omelet or mushroom omelet or tomato and onion omelet - helpful for beginners, and lots of ideas for more seasoned cooks. I used to cook in a restaurant, and learned to make the perfect ome