How to Make Cornbread Muffins From Scratch
Growing up, my dad used to make cornbread in a cast iron skillet. It was something I used to take for granted - cornbread is delicious and contains simple ingredients and sometimes, you can use a skillet in the oven. Okay, so I took a lot for granted as a kid. As an adult, I assumed that the cornbread of my youth was something I didn't remember quite right. The stuff that comes out of the tiny blue box from the store just doesn't compare to what came out of that cast iron skillet all those years ago. Turns out, that's because all those additives and preservatives don't taste nearly as good as clean, simple ingredients and a little bit of love.
Here's a recipe for cornbread muffins that is insanely easy to make, costs very little, and will have your family wondering why you haven't been making these for them all along.
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
1/3 cup White Sugar
1/3 cup Brown Sugar - psst! This is the secret to delicious cornbread.
1 tsp Salt
3 and 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 cup Milk
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
1. In a large bowl, mix corn meal and milk. Cover with a towel and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Spray or lightly grease a muffin tin. This recipe makes 12 - 15 muffins, depending on how your pour it.
4. After cornmeal and milk have had their time alone, stir in the egg and vegetable oil.
5. In a separate bowl, mix flour, sugars, salt and baking powder.
6. Stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
7. Pour ingredients into prepared muffin tin.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
9. Enjoy your food!
Pro tip: Mix together equal parts butter and honey in a small bowl. Spread that on the cornbread. You are welcome.