How to Make Cured Egg Yolks
What to Do With Left Over Egg Yolks
You know the drill, you are making something tasty like lemon meringue pie, or whipping up an egg white facial with your friends, and you now have all of these egg yolks you don't want to waste. What can you make that will avoid wasting these egg yolks? Make cured egg yolks! These flavor packed yolks are absolutely delicious!
How to Use Cured Eggs
The taste of cured egg yolks can be described as a very strong runny egg, umami, or cheese like flavor, and a little goes a long way. I like to grate a little cured egg yolk on salads or avocado toast, on soups and sandwiches, but the uses are endless. When I say "grate a little", I would go with 1/3 of an egg yolk finely grated per person.
While the overall process takes days, it is really quite simple with very little 'active' time investment...and definitely well worth the wait.
- 4-6 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups salt
Instructions -- Phase I
- Thoroughly mix the salt and sugar in medium bowl
- Pour half the mixture in a shallow dish. An 8x8 dish works well, as does a shallow serving dish
- Make 6-8 indentations in the salt/sugar mixture
- Gently sprinkle remaining salt/sugar mixture to fully cover the egg yolks
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 days
Instructions -- Phase II
After refrigerating for 4 days, it is time to dehydrate the egg yolks further
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees
- While the oven is preheating, remove your egg yolks from the salt/sugar mixture
- Brush off the salt/sugar mixture, gently rinse the egg yolk in cold water and pat dry with a paper towel
- Place the egg yolks on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Place the baking sheet in the oven for 1.5 to 2 hours
- Remove from oven and cool
Your eggs are now ready to use! You can store in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container for 2-3 weeks.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Stella-Mae