- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Recipe for Roasted Curried Almonds
Hmmm Hmmmm NUTS!
Oh boy! Oh Boy! This is one of my favorite snacks to make!
I LOVE almonds. But, I can almost promise that most of you have not had roasted "Curry" almonds with red pepper.
All those who have, stand up and say "HEY". And if you have, then you know what I'm talking about!
This recipe is so easy to make and is perfect to have in dishes around the house when company comes over or for that New Year's Eve Party you are planning this weekend.
Having lived in Hawaii for over 20 years, there are many recipes that I picked up on and I am so grateful to my Ohana and my friends who taught me the correct way to make the "island style" grub.
As we say in Hawaii, these almonds... "Broke Da Mouth" (trust me..it's a good thing!) *grin*
Alright my fellow Hubbers, I give to you the "Broke Da Mouth" recipe for "Roasted Curry Almonds! Enjoy!
Celebrating the Almond
Almonds give us a reason to celebrate. Researchers and nutritionists tell us that nuts not only taste good, but they are extremely good for you!
Almonds happen to be one of the most nutritious nuts of all nuts.
As we, the consumer become more dedicated to living a healthy life-style, these researchers and experts find that adding whole and natural foods to our diet is part of the prescription for physical wellness. Almonds play a big part of that picture.
The Multiple Benefits of Almonds
- Almonds reduce Heart Attack Risk: A Study at a Loma Linda School of Public Health showed those who consumed nuts five times a week had a 50% reduction in the risk of having a heart attack.
- Almonds are lower in Cholesterol: Almonds added to our diet have a more favorable effect on blood cholesterol levels and a lower percentage on weight gain.
- Almonds play a role in Cancer Prevention – It is well known that almonds are low in saturated fat and also contain many other protective nutrients: Calcium and magnesium (for strong bones) Vitamin E and compounds called phytochemicals (which may help protect against cardiovascular disease and even cancer.)
- One ounce (approximately 25 almonds) will contain as much calcium as ¼ cup of milk which is vital in preventing osteoporosis.
- For all the “Mommies-to-be”, almonds are a wonderful source of the folic acid which you need!
Nutritional Value Per Serving
|Serving size: 1/2 Cup|
|Calories from Fat||324|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 36 g||55%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 14 g||5%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 8 g||32%|
|Protein 15 g||30%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Preparation and Bake Time for Roasted Curry Almonds
- 2 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
- 2 Cups blanched or unblanched whole almonds
- 1 Eggwhite
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9" baking pan.
- Mix salt, curry powder and red pepper in a small cup.
- Place nuts in a colander and set aside.
- Beat egg white in a small cup until foamy.
- Place Colander of nuts over the sink and pour egg white over nuts, stirring with fork to coat.
- Pour nuts into prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle with salt mixture and turn to coat evenly.
- Once coated, spread nuts evenly in a single layer.
- Bake at 275 degrees (preheated oven) for 30 minutes, stirring nuts 3-4 times.
- Turn off oven, and allow nuts to stand for additional 30 minutes in oven.
- Remove from oven; cool completely in pan.
How Would You Rate This Recipe
Storing Your Nuts!
Nuts can be stored in air-tight container and in refrigerator up to 3 months. (But I honeslty don't think there will be any nuts left to store)... I'm just sayin'!
Great Almond Products from Amazon
About the Author
Lisa has directed and acted in musical theatre for nearly 30 years. Her musical upbringing allowed her to pursue her career in teaching and directing and continues to direct shows today. As the owner of 2 online Home Décor sites, Lisa’s passion for Rustic Living all begins with her love for the home, outdoors, and her many hobbies. Lisa loves to laugh, and she share’s that love through her comedic hubs centered on her MOM. Lisa’s passions include writing, directing, acting, photography, singing, cooking, crafts, gardening, and home improvement, including decorating. Lisa also writes under her penned name, Elizabeth Rayen.
If you have a passion for writing and would like to earn money by writing for Hub Pages, Join today ~ It's Fast, Easy, & FREE!