- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
How to Make Delicious Homemade Chicken Soup
My mom makes delicious homemade chicken soup. The extended family is always asking her to make this. Even the grandchildren know the difference between homemade and canned soup. This recipe has been passed down from generation to generation in my family.
- 3 large carrots, cut in half
- 1 large potato, whole
- 1 large onion, whole
- 8 cups water
- 2-3 large pieces of chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Pull the skin off of the chicken breasts. Rinse with water and place in large pot.
- Peel the potato, carrots, remove the outer skin from the onion and place them whole in pot. (Do not cut up)
- Add water and bring to a boil. Then skim the top with a large spoon to remove all impurities which will float to the top of the pot.
- Add salt and cover pot. Cook on simmer about 45 minutes to an hour. Shut gas and let it sit in the pot for 1-2 hours. Stir from time to time.
- Remove chicken, potato, carrots and onion from the broth. Skim soup with skimmer or strainer to remove the remaining impurities. Now you should have a clear broth.
- In a blender, blend the carrots, onion, and potato with some broth until pureed. Do not blend all at once. It will take about three times to blend everything.
- Put everything back in the pot and stir well. Cut up the chicken into small pieces and put back into soup. Boil pasta separately, not in broth. Orzo or Pastina is good for soup.