How to Make Easy Stewed Chicken
How to Make Easy Jamaican Stewed Chicken
Jamaican Stewed Chicken is a favorite at many restaurants. Why pay when you can just make it at home?
1-2 lbs of chicken
2 tbs of green seasoning (garlic, cilantro, parsley, vinegar blended together, or you can buy it bottled at the grocery store)
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp of oil
3 medium carrots chopped
1/2 red pepper chopped
3 sprigs of thyme
4 tbs of ketchup
1 cup of water
3 tbs of soy sauce
Juice of 1/2 of a lime
1) Marinate the chicken (works best to use legs and thighs) in the green seasoning for at least a few hrs if not overnight
2) In a pot with a cover, heat the oil.
3) Brown the chicken, until cooked
4) Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together bring to a boil
5) Reduce to simmer and let cover for 45 min to an hr
6) Serve over white rice
This is the simplest recipe I have found, the only thing that takes a little time is the prep work. The Green seasoning is great if you can make a big batch of it. You can season everything with it. Of course, keep tasting to see what you prefer. If you prefer it a little sweeter, add more ketchup. If you like it saltier, add more soy sauce. The stew should be fairly thick, not watery. If you find yours is watery, let it simmer for longer to let the water out. If it's not a nice sauce, then add more water.