How to Make Elvis Bread - Banana Bread with Peanut Butter and Bacon
Why should you eat more bananas?
Click here to read about the benefits of bananas.
Basic Banana Bread Recipe with Peanut Butter and Bacon
What happens when you take a basic banana bread recipe and add in a little peanut butter and bacon? You get what I like to call “Elvis Bread,” a salty sweet concoction that’ll have you “all shook up” (okay maybe not, but I had to throw some Elvis lyrics in there).
Inspired by “the King’s” favorite sandwich – peanut butter, bananas, and fried bacon – I decided to see how these ingredients would blend together in a quick bread recipe. I’ve made plenty of banana breads and even peanut butter quick breads so I basically combined what I knew about these recipes and then threw some bacon into the mix. Experimenting in the kitchen is one of my favorite things to do, and I’m lucky enough to have a husband who’s willing to try whatever it is I think up. With this recipe, he was more than happy to oblige.
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, (I used natural, chunky peanut butter, but you can use smooth if you like)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup bacon bits, (plus extra for sprinkling on top)
- Combine the white flour, the wheat flour, the baking powder, and salt in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Use a hand mixer to beat the peanut butter, sugar and bananas in a separate mixing bowl for about 5 minutes. It’s okay if the mixture isn’t completely smooth.
- Add the peanut butter, sugar, and banana mixture to the dry ingredients along with the milk and the egg. Stir just enough to moisten the dry ingredients.
- Add the bacon bits and stir a few more times.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9x5 loaf pan and shake some additional bacon bits on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Enjoy the bread as is, or with some extra peanut butter spread on top of it.