- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
How to Make an English Pot Roast in the Slow Cooker
I like my slow cooker. It gets used very often, mostly in the fall and winter, but I have started using it year round too. This is a meal I have always liked since my mom used to make it when I was a kid. She used her slow cooker quite often too, I seem to recall. I just love roasts cooked this way and have made them with many different seasonings over the years.
Today, I was able to make use of one of my new Christmas gifts when I made the roast. It is a square cast iron grill pan, and I absolutely love it! This made perfect grill marks on the roast when I browned it in the butter. I truly think braising the meat is the way to go when making a roast in the slow cooker. This turned out to be a beautiful grilled roast after I had browned it in my new pan.
I simplified this roast recipe down to a bare bones, very savory version. I was out of carrots, so I decided to go a with an onion and mushroom combination of vegetables today. I used a small can of mushrooms, but you could certainly use fresh mushrooms if you like. I did also make mashed potatoes and gravy to go with the meal.
This roast is extremely easy to make and very moist and tender. You definitely do not need a knife to cut this, it cuts just fine with a fork. It is fall apart tender. The onion flavor really takes me back to childhood. Dried onion soup was always a staple in my mother's pantry and it is also a staple in mine, sometimes it is all a recipe needs for great flavor. I hope you get to try this roast soon, you enjoy it as much as my husband and I did!
- 1.5 - 2 lb English pot roast
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp salt, freshly ground
- 1 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- 1Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup water, warm
- 1 4 oz can mushrooms, drained
- Slice garlic clove in half and rub entire English roast all over with it. Then salt and pepper the roast on both sides. Heat butter in cast iron skillet to medium heat and brown roast on all sides, about 10 minutes. This helps to keep the meat tender and juicy.
- Chop onion into large pieces and place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Put the clove of garlic into the slow cooker after rubbing the roast with it. In a small bowl, empty onion soup packet and add the cup of warm water to help dissolve the seasonings.
- Once the roast is browned on all sides, remove from skillet and lay it on the onions in the slow cooker. Pour the onion soup over the roast and cover. Add about 1 tsp of the flour to the juices, along with the tsp of sugar. Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove roast from the slow cooker, serve with the onions and mushrooms on the side. Add the rest of the flour (2 tsp) to the au jus in the slow cooker to make a thicker gravy. Serve with mashed potatoes, a vegetable and bread of your choice. The bread and gravy could almost make its own meal. Yum!