- Food and Cooking
How to Make Fabulous Grilled Hot Wings
All winter I bake and broil hot wings for the family. My now 6 year old has become a wing fanatic. He would eat at Buffalo Wild Wings for every meal if we let him. So as it got warmer out this spring heading into summer I realized I was going to have to figure out how to make some of his favorite wings on the grill so that the house stayed cool and we could still enjoy some yummy hot wings.
Grilling wings outside is a great BBQ activity. I also like it because it keep the mess outside, seeing a 4 year old eat wings isn't always a pretty sight. My boys can get pretty messy so keep the wet wipes and paper towel handy.
The recipe is a great way to learn about how to grill hot wings on the outdoor grill instead of in a fryer or oven.
Grilled Hot Wings
Seasoning for Chicken Wings
I used Old Bay seasoning to mix into the flour. It only gives a slight flavor to the chicken but allows the flour taste to be slightly masked. If you have any basic chicken rubs they will work, or even salt & pepper mixture to add a little flavor.
The reason we add the flour mixture is to keep the chicken juicy and tender when cooking. It allows the skin to become a little bit crispy.
- chicken wings
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tbls seasoning, use any chicken rub you have in the house,I used Old Bay seasoning today
- 2 cups wings sauce, I make a mean wings sauce - today's recipe I used a premade one, Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Wing
Hot Sauce Recipe Here
- Either the day before or several hours before cooking - mix flour and seasoning together. Place into a gallon ziplock bag, mix
- Add chicken to bag and shake, I do about half the chicken at once. i place them on my broiler pan so that as they sit any loose flour falls off. Put the pan in the refrigerator until ready to cook (at least 2 hours)
- Depending on the size of your wings you may need a grilling rack or tray. I have a few different options to use - when all else fails use foil. Place the chicken onto the grill and close the grill lid.
- Allow the wings to cook for approximately 45 minutes -1 hours making sure they are fully cooked. I flipped the wings halfway through the cooking process.
- Place cooked wings into a large bowl and pour sauce over the wings. Mix the sauce with the wings and then allow to rest for a few minutes before serving
Grilled Wings Rescued the Summer
Being able to grill wings outside allows us to enjoy a favorite recipe. Stay tuned for my wings sauce coming soon. Sweet Baby Rays Buffalo Wing Sauce is a great sauce to use if you aren't up to making your own.
If you are not up for grilling, you can make wings in a variety of ways in the oven. You can broil wings, bake wings, and deep fry wings with just a few modifications to the recipe. Broiling is an excellent winter activity that keeps y house toasty while cooking up some great wings for the football game.