How to Make Feta and Cottage Cheese
Health Benefits of Cheese
Archaeologists discovered murals of butter and cheese being made on the walls of tombs dating back to 2000 BC.
- Cheese is not only healthy, it is delicious.
- Cheese contains calcium which is needed for building strong bones. It reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
- Cheese is a good source of vitamins and minerals.It contains vitamin A which is good for vision and to strengthen the immune system.
- Vitamin B12 which is good for the nervous system and vitamin K which is needed for heart and bone health, cheese also contain protein, phosphorus, zinc, potassium, magnesium and selenium.
Kitchen Strainer Bag
Create healthy organic and delicious milk or cheese. Quali-tee kitchen reusable nut milk bag is the perfect choice for making your own plant-based milk and cheese. The bag is so easy to clean after using. These reusable bags are a perfect choice for making cheese. The handy drawstring keeps the pulp inside and allows the bag to hang making it easy to strain. Eco friendly reusable food grade is 100% nylon and strain-resistant as well as easy to clean.
How to Make Cottage Cheese
5 liters of milk to produce 800g of cheese
Salt and dried herbs, garlic or sundried tomatoes
- A pot made of stainless steel
- A stove
- A thermometer and plastic container
- Cheesecloth 40x45 cm folded into a pillowcase
- A large spoon
- Containers for the cottage cheese
- A tray to drain cottage cheese
The Best Cheese Gift
- Always have cheese handy. It makes delicious healthy snacks.
- This set of 6 Farmers Gourmet Wisconsin Cheese Bricks Gift Basket Fondue Food Blocks is an ideal gift for your new neighbors as a gift or any occasion that needs celebration.
- This gourmet cheese bricks are absolutely divine.
- Order your gift basket today and shed sunlight into a special occasion.
How to Make Cottage Cheese
- Take 5 liters of milk and pour into a pot
- Heat the milk to 85 C
- Once the milk has reached the required heat remove the pot from heat
- Place it in a plastic container with ice water
- When the milk has reached 22C, the water in the surrounding container must be heated to 22C as well. Just add warm water. The water must be kept at this temperature
- Add 2 to 3 granules of starter culture and mix it thoroughly with a spoon. First rinse the spoon in boiling water.
- Place the lid on the container.
Let It Thicken Overnight
- Place the container with the milk into a cooler-box.
- Keep the milk at a temperature of about 22C overnight until it has thickened
- Strain the curds from the whey by placing a piece of cheesecloth over a bowl and pour the curds and whey into the cheesecloth.
- Let the curds drain for about 30 minutes
- Squeeze the cloth to get the curds as dry as possible.
- The cheese must be solid not crumbly.
- Add dried herbs
- If you want cream cheese add stiffly beaten cream
How to Make Feta Cheese
- Heat 3,5 L fresh goats milk to 86F while stirring regularly
- Remove from heat
- Mix a tablespoon of plain yogurt with 1 tablespoon of milk
- Stir this into the warmed milk and mix well
- Cover and leave to ripen for 60 minutes at room temperature
- Dissolve half a tablet of rennet in cool non-chlorinated water.
- After the milk has ripened for 60 minutes, add the dissolved rennet
- And stir slowly for one minute.
- The milk will begin to thicken in about 10 minutes after adding the dissolved rennet but allow it to set for 60 minutes.
- Check for a clean break. The milk should have gelled and some of the whey will have separated.
Cut the Curds and Release the Whey
- Cut the curd to half inch cubes and slowly stir for another 20 to 30 minutes to release the whey while keeping the original temperature.
- The firmness of the cheese depends on the time the whey is stirred.
- When the curds reach the proper dryness, allow them to settle to the bottom of the pot for ten minutes.
- Remove the whey down to the curd level before transferring the curds to the draining mold.
- Line the draining mold with a draining cloth, add the curds, fold over the ends of the cloth and then place a weight on top.
- Allow the curds to drain overnight.
Is feta tastier than cheddar cheese
- Mix 20 oz of whey which you saved when draining with 5 tablespoons of salt.
- Stir to dissolve
- The whey is made acidic by letting it sit covered at room temperature overnight.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2016 Anita Hasch