How to Make Flavored Sugars – Vanilla Sugar, Citrus Sugar, Orange Cinnamon Sugar
I have to confess to eating a little more French Toast than is reasonable. It’s one of my favorite breakfasts, especially when done with some good Challah bread – mmm.
Anyway, in my extensive French Toastian experimentation, I have discovered that flavored sugars are very easy to make, taste great and add a surprising note to just about anything you’d sprinkle sugar on (French toast, pancakes, fritters etc.)
Here are a few ideas for very simple flavored sugars. Each can be mixed in a minute or two, each will keep for ages and it’s the little things like this that really transform plain Jane meals into the memorable experiences.
They also make very easy homemade gifts.
These are pretty tough to mess up – but for best results, keep these sugar mixes in airtight containers, so you don’t lose the aromatics to the outside air.
So give em a try! Here are a few ideas:
This is a great way to get the most out of expensive fresh vanilla pods. Use the seeds inside and then keep the pod to make this flavored sugar.
- 1 used vanilla pod
- 1 cup of sugar
- Cut the vanilla pod into a couple of pieces and then bury the vanilla pieces in a cup of sugar. Store the sugar in a sealed container for 2 weeks, and then use for ages.
- 1 lemon or 1 orange or a couple of limes
- 1 cup of sugar
- Zest the skin of 1 citrus fruit (use 2 if using limes). A microplane grater is a good investment for zesting, if you don’t already have one.
- Mix the sugar with the lime zest in an airtight container. Let it sit for a week or so, and then use. If you find that the citrus flavor is not strong enough , or if over time, the flavor diminishes, you can always replenish the taste with a little more citrus zest as needed.
Cinnamon Orange Sugar
I stumbled into this concoction on Egullet – where it is known as ‘toast dope’
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 Tbls of cinnamon
- The zest of one orange
- Mix and store in an airtight container.
Use sprinkled on hot buttery toast
Making Vanilla Sugar Video Demo
More Sweet Toppings
- How to Make a Strawberry Sauce - Strawberry Coulis R...
Strawberry coulis is an easy and tasty dessert sauce. Get the recipe and instructions here.
- How to Make an Easy Caramel Sauce
A very easy but delicious caramel sauce that's perfect over ice cream and that keeps for a month in the fridge!