- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
Flour Tortilla Recipe
Flour Tortillas from Scratch
If you've always loved fresh, homemade tortillas but thought they were too difficult to make; well look no further. Here is a simple recipe to try for dinner tonight courtesy of a family recipe passed down from my mom.
Add some refried beans or hamburger meat and you have a meal!
- 3 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 4-6 Tbsp Vegetable Shortening or Lard
- 1 1/4 Cup Warm Water
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add vegetable shortening or lard OR use a combination of half lard, half shortening.
- Use a fork or pastry cutter to cut in the shortening or just do it the old fashioned way and use your hands.
- Next add warm water a little at a time until your dough is soft and not sticky. You do not need very hot water.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Now you will pull off pieces of dough to form about 12 small dough balls. Let them rest for at least 10 minutes, longer if you like.
- This is a good time to heat up the griddle. You will want to set it at a medium to high heat. If it is too hot the tortillas will cook too fast.
- Now you can roll out the dough with your rolling pin. It is a good idea to dust each ball with a little flour just before you roll them out. Lay the rolling pin in the center of the dough ball and roll up, center and roll down. It is good to lift the dough and turn it. Again, rolling pin the the center and roll. Roll them out fairly thin.
- Lay your tortilla on the hot griddle. It takes just a few seconds to cook. Flip to the other side. When they are done it should have lots of nice brown speckles.
- Place them in a towel. If you would like you can use a tortilla warmer to keep them warm longer.
© 2013 Sydney Spence