How to Make Fried Mozzarella Sticks. An Easy Recipe for Deep Fried Cheese!
- Delicious frozen margarita recipe. It's so easy to m...
Don't do it to yourself...don't make your body suffer another night of neon green package mix margaritas - especially when authentic margaritas are so easy to make! Here are the easy steps to a perfect, authentic, lime margarita.
- Ruminations on the perfect nachos, and a simple guac...
Most everyone from Mexico will tell you that there are no Nachos in Mexico. But, there are tostadas, which are crispy fried corn tortillas covered with stuff, which in my opinion is starting to sound quite a...
- How to Make Queso Fundido. An Appetizer of Mexican M...
A glorious Mexican melted cheese appetizer! Queso fundido is a restaurant staple that you can and should make at home. Easy instructions and tips.
- Mexican shredded pork. A spicy filling for burritos,...
www.photobucket.com This filling takes a bit of time to prepare, but will make quite a lot, and the leftovers can be frozen for easy-peasy future weeknight Mexican meals. 4 lbs pork shoulder, or...
The food here in Thailand is pretty good, pretty incredible actually, and so I can’t really complain about what's on offer here – but I will anyway!
It's funny the things you miss, often they're not what you expect you will. I miss fried cheese. The bar and grill appetizer kind, with the golden fried breadcrumb coating around the oozing melted mozzarella center, served with a little marinara sauce or a simple salsa. Not exactly haute cuisine, but I have to confess an occasional longing.
Actually, it makes sense, cause fried cheese sticks are about as far removed from Thai fare as you can get – and you can only eat just so many healthy meals of stir fried vegetables, right!?!
Luckily, they do sell some pretty fantastic breadcrumbs around these parts – the Panko style Asian breadcrumbs; once you switch over to these crunchier breadcrumbs on steroids, you'll never go back. So, there is nothing stopping me from making up my own batch of good old American style fried cheese every now and again!
Fried Mozzarella Sticks
A lot of people like to season the breadcrumb mixture – I happen to prefer keeping things pretty neutral and spicing up the sauce, but if you'd like, you can add a little dried oregano, basil or parsley to the flour to up the seasoning.
- Mozzarella cheese, cut into any shape you'd like. I happen to like them about 1 inch long and 1/3 of an inch thick
- Panko style breadcrumbs, spread out on a plate
- Beaten egg, in a small bowl
- Vegetable oil for frying
I won't give quantity instructions here, because the recipe is so simple that you can just use as much as you need for as much as you're making!
- Preheat your deep fryer to 350
- Take each piece of cheese and cover it well with flour, shaking off any excess. The flour dries the surface which allows the beaten egg to adhere to it completely, in turn allowing for a complete coverage of breadcrumbs, so try to get it good and covered!
- Take each piece of flour-covered cheese and dip it in your beaten eggs, again, making sure to cover the cheese completely with the egg.
- Take your egg covered cheese, shake off the excess and drop it onto your plate, rolling it around to cover it completely in breadcrumbs.
- Repeat with remaining cheese until all are well covered.
- Fry the cheese sticks, in batches, in oil that has been
preheated to 350. Watch carefully, taking the cheese sticks out after 30
seconds to 1 minute; or as soon as the breadcrumbs are golden brown –it doesn't
take very long. Repeat with remaining cheese sticks.
Serve with a marinara dipping sauce, or any side sauce that catches your fancy.
It goes without saying that fried cheese is always a crowd pleaser!