- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Fun at Home with the Kids: Funnel Cake Night
Host a Carnival Night Complete with Funnel Cakes
Funnel cakes are reminiscent of carnivals, rodeos, and fun. Why not host your own carnival at home for a little family fun, an original birthday party theme, or just as a way to keep the kids occupied on a rainy day? Start with the funnel cake recipe and then find more ideas below, including face painting, balloon animals, jelly bean count, and more.
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Tbl Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cup Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Cups Oil, Heat in saucepan
- 1 Bag Powdered Sugar, For sprinkling over cooked funnel cake
- Before you make the mixture, place at least 2 cups of oil in a saucepan and heat over medium heat. The oil has to be hot before you place the mixture in but we'll get to that.
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth in texture. Make sure it is not too thick.
- You may want to use an actual funnel unless you feel comfortable hand pouring the funnel in a swirl shape.
- Pour the batter into the hot oil while using a swirling motion. (Just like you've seen them make at the carnival)
- Fry in the oil until both sides are golden brown and remove using tongs.
- Place the funnel cake on a paper towel on a plate to drain the excess oil left over. Do this before sprinkling powdered sugar or it will clump.
- Sift the powdered sugar and then sprinkle over the funnel cake.
- BONUS: If you aren't partial to powdered sugar, consider using chocolate drizzle (lightly) instead!
What Do You Think of This Recipe?
More Ideas for a Complete "Carnival Night" at Home
Sure, you won't have the Ferris Wheel, bumper cars, or a clown but the kids will still have a great time making memories with you. Perfect for backyard fun, birthday parties, or just an evening of family time.
If you are looking for a rainy day activity, slumber party fun or just something to keep the kids occupied; then add these few (inexpensive) items to your night of fun!
FACE PAINTING: Using simple acrylic paint and a thin paintbrush, you can create hours of fun with face painting.
HOMEMADE PLAY DOUGH: Kids love to make the dough and you'll love saving some (green dough that is). Easy to make. Get the recipe for the dough here.
CHARADES: This requires nothing more than a few pieces of paper and an imagination. To make it easier for the kids, draw on each piece of paper and have them choose from a bowl. Whatever they choose is what they have to act out for everyone else.
BALLOON ANIMALS: You can purchase the balloons needed to make balloon animals for less than a couple bucks at the craft store. Become an expert by simply finding videos on YouTube, like this one.
CAKE WALK: Make miniature cupcakes and have a cake walk using music from the iPod or radio. Set up chairs to walk around, cut the music, the players get a cupcake. Don't know how to cake walk? Try this.
JELLYBEAN COUNT: Fill a jar with jellybeans (or M&M's) and have an old-fashioned guessing game. Include prizes of course. Coloring books make great prizes!
MOVIE TIME: When it's time to settle down after all of the fun, spread out a lot of blankets, stack up all the pillows in the house and put on the movie. Use a big screen for the full effect. If outdoors, use a projector.
GLOW STICKS: Have a little inexpensive glow fun at your carnival with glow sticks. They also make great prizes.
PETTING ZOO: Invite guests to bring their pets dressed as zoo animals. Create a petting zoo of all the pets.
Try Caramel Corn in Baggies for a Complete Carnival Style Snack Night!
- Microwave Caramel Corn
Party appetizer recipes that are fast and easy to make.
Of Course You'll Need Party Punch!
- How to Make Party Punch
If you are looking for a new drink recipe for the next party or get together, try this delicious 7UP and Sherbert party punch.
Kids Love Pizza: Start With the Crust
- How to Make Pizza Crust
Skip delivery and make a fresh homemade pizza for dinner tonight
Which Do You Like Better on Funnel Cake?
Looking for More Easy to Make Recipes?
© 2013 Sydney Spence