How to Make Haleem
Preparations and Procedure
This is one of the most famous dish of Hyderabad and Deccan region of India. It cooked across India in Muslim homes. This is basically main dish for Muslim Home. It is prepared for small occasions and gatherings. It is also prepared in northern India specially Lucknow and Delhi. The taste of the same dish from these two regions are very different. In Hyderabad usually little tamarind and sugar or Jaggery is added to make it more tasty.
This dish lot of preparations and cool mind. It takes very long time. Patience is very important. There is choice of using ready mix sachet of (haleem) which is available in market or using the said ingredients from home.
Clean all the ingredients with at least three water. Then soak them in water and keep for at-least three hours ( ready mix sachet come with instant preparations 30 minute is enough, cooking time is also very less i.e.30 minutes only). When the ingredients are well soaked and soft then start the process.
Sliced the onion evenly. Put ghee in the pot when it is hot put the meat in the pot. Stir continuously till the meat become soft. Then put spices mix sachet in the pot. Mix it well. Stir everything continuously. When it is all mixed evenly and ready then put Haleem Sachet or all other ingredients. Mix everything well. Stir the ingredients continuously. When it is hot and well mixed then put 12 to 15 glasses of water or 4 liters of water in the pot. Mix everything well and stir continuously. It will take at-least 3 to 4 hours to ready. Keep watch and stir occasionally. When the ingredients look like ready and reduced to half or less of original level then put the pot on low heat. Stir well continuously. After some time put the pot on a steel plate on low heat for another 15 to 20 minutes. The dish is ready the journey is half way.
Take 3 onions sliced them evenly. The fry them well till it gets brown. Finely chopped ginger, green chilies, green coriander and lime juice. Put on every plate separately and serve hot with other dishes.
There is one more alternative way which can make it fast in 45 minutes only. Put ghee in pressure cooker and follow all steps put water and close the pressure cooker. Put it on low heat till four blows. Then let it cool down open it and stir continuously till water reduces to minimum level. See the mixer is evenly everywhere.
- 500 gm Chicken, Chicken Boneless 4 to 6 pieces
- 500 gm Chicken, With Bone
- 350 gm Ghee, Should be cooked in pure cow's ghee
- 50 gm Onion, sliced
- 50 gm De Husked and Processed wheat, Must put into to water
- 50 gm De Husked and Processed Barley, Must Put into Water
- 50 gm Rice, White Rice
- 25 gm Split Yellow Peas, Chana Dal
- 25 gm Split Mung, Mung Dal
- 25 gm skin less urd, Urad Dal
- 25 gm Orange Lentil, Masoor Dal
- 100 gm Spices Mix Sachet, Shan Spices Mix Sachet
- 350 gm Haleem Mix Sachet
- 3 lemon lemon sliced, put juice on every plate
- 3 pieces green chillies, chopped the chilies small
- 20 gm coriander, remove the stems
- 20 gm ginger, chopped it small
Step by Step Guide to Make Haleem
- Clean the pulses and grains with minimum three water. Soak it for at least 12 hours.
- Heat one cup of ghee add meat and spices mix. Fry for few minutes. Then mix soaked grains to it. Stir well.The other option is just put all grains and enough water in Pressure Cooker and cook well, take at least four blows.
- Heat one cup of ghee/oil, add meat and Shan Shahi Haleem Spices Mix. Fry for few minutes. Then add the soaked pulses and grains mix and 12 to 15 glasses of water. Cover and cook on very low heat until the meat is completely tender ( 4 to 6 hours). Stir occasionally.
- Remove the bones and blend the mixture to a coarse paste with a wooden spoon or grind half the quantity in blender. Do not grind it to fine paste.
- Heat the another remaining one cup ghee/oil and fry the sliced onions until golden. Then stir in into the Haleem. Cover and cook on the low heat for 10-15 minutes..
- Garnish with Shan Chaat Masaala fried onion, finely chopped ginger, green chillies, green coriander and lime juice.
|Serving size: 120 gm|
|Calories from Fat||225|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 25 g||38%|
|Saturated fat 7 g||35%|
|Unsaturated fat 18 g|
|Carbohydrates 55 g||18%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 12 g||48%|
|Protein 49 g||98%|
|Cholesterol 107 mg||36%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|