How to Make Homemade Chicken Nuggets
My kids love chicken nuggets and most kids do, whether they come form the fast food restaurant or the freezer section of the local grocery store they are easy and taste good to the kids. These are usually over processed and full of who knows what. I make a yummy homemade version that is made with real chicken breasts and natural ingredients. I made these for a family dinner, make them ahead of time and freeze for a quick reheat for our on the go nights or date ngiht when the kids eat at home and mom and dad go out.
Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- 4 chicken breast
- 1 box panko
- 4 tbs flour
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Cut chicken breast into smaller nugget sized sections - Make sure the pieces aren't too thick to cook quickly
- Place milk and egg in a bowl and whip together
- Place chicken in bowl and mix to coat with the milk and egg mixture.
- In a plastic seal-able bag, mix together the rest of the ingredients.
- Take the chicken from the bowl and slowly place into the bag a few pieces at a time while allowing the egg milk mixture to drip off into the bowl before placing into breading mixture.
- Mix well with the breading mixture to evenly and completely coat all of the chicken in the breading.
- I like to use my electric skillet to make these, but a frying pan or even the over will work well also. I have made them in both. I like how crispy they get in the frying pan or skillet better then the over version.
- Spray the skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place individual pieces of chicken onto the skillet, shake of excessive breading before taking out of bag.
- Cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side or until they are crispy and cooked. This may vary depending on how big your pieces are.
Let's Talk Panko!
I love cooking with panko, it is becoming more popular lately and I have been able to find it in more grocery stores which always makes me happy. In fact when i found it at my local small-mart, we have one of those market place Walmarts that carry half the items, I was so excited I decided I had to buy it and make this recipe.
This is better than plain bread crumbs because it adds a thicker, crispier element to the breading.
Freeze the Chicken Nuggets for Later
If there are any leftovers I freeze them in two kid portions sizes to reheat later. I can pull a container out for later and heat it up on a night that a need a quick meal for kids. This is so much better and cheaper than a fast food run.