How to Make Homemade Ice Cream- Make Memories and Save Money!
Are you worried about the ingredients that are in your food, the cost of groceries or just interested in learning how to make some of your favorite treats on your own? Join me as I talk about making homemade ice cream!
Benefits of homemade ice cream:
- You know exactly what ingredients are in your special treat.
- The lowest cost for ice cream is $2 and can get as high as $6 depending on the brand you choose. You will be able to make your own ice cream for under $2!
- If you have kids, making homemade ice cream is a mini science experiment.
- It's just plain fun!
Ice Cream in a Bag!
My son and I were first introduced to this delicious treat one summer at a camp. The children and I had so much fun making these!
You will need:
- 1 small ziploc
- 1 large ziploc
- 4 cups ice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Prepare the large ziploc bag by adding in the 3 cups ice and the salt.
- In the small ziploc bag add the mik, sugar and vanilla. Seal the bag and make sure it is completely closed.
- Put the small bag inside of the large bag with ice and seal the bag. Again, make sure the bag is completely closed.
- Now for the fun part! Shake the bag for 5-10 minutes. The kids enjoyed tossing the bag and dancing with the bag.
- Once you have achieved the desired consistency, scoop the ice cream into a bowl and add any desired toppings.
Ice Cream in a Ball!
My son received the red ice cream ball pictured, as a gift for his last birthday. Again, the kids had a blast making the ice cream. You add the ingredients and roll the ball around while everything mixes making the ice cream. As the ad on Amazon suggests, this ball is great to take on camping trips, picnics and barbecues.
For this recipe, you will need:
- ice cream maker
- rock salt
- 1 quart of cream or Half & Half
- 3/4 cup sugar
According to the directions that came with the ice cream maker:
- Remove the lid from the ice end and fill with as much ice as possible, then add 1 cup of rock salt. Close the lid securely.
- Mix the other ingredients in a container. Remove the lid from the other end and pour in the mix. Again, close the lid securely.
- Shake, roll and pass the ball around as you mix and freeze the ingredients!
- After about 15-20 minutes, open the ball and check for desired consistency.
- Scoop out the ice cream and add desired toppings (we added chocolate chips into our mix.)