How to Make Homemade Sesame Crackers
Buttery Bites: Crunchy Appetizers Fresh From the Oven
I've long enjoyed crackers and at times, wondered how hard they would be to make from home. I looked for a recipe for a cracker that incorporated butter and that included seeds. I found such an animal and have been making these crackers ever since.
They offer a combo of soft and crunchy and are filling and satisfying.
Homemade sesame crackers are easy to make and even easier to eat. Butter lends a rich flavor and the addition of sesame seeds adds a pleasing crunch.
These crackers are easy to mix up and roll out and they bake up in no time.
You may have never tried your hand at making crackers but it really isn't difficult, plus, when you make your own homemade crackers you control the amount of sodium used. You use butter instead of hydrogenated fats and the addition of whole wheat flour adds extra goodness. Sesame crackers don't contain the same preservatives as the store-bought variety and if you opt for organic flours and sesame seeds, even better.
- 1 cup water, warm
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
How to Make Homemade Sesame Crackers
- Stir together in a bowl: 1 cup of warm water 1/2 cup of melted butter 1 tsp. salt.
- Then add: 1 cup of white flour 1 cup of whole wheat flour 1 tsp. baking powder 1/2 cup sesame seeds (or more if you like crunch).
- Stir with a wooden spoon to mix dough and then knead, sprinkling flour over and working and kneading until dough no longer sticks to hands.
- Sprinkle flour over your counter and roll out the cracker dough. Sprinkle more sesame seeds over the top of the dough and roll again pressing the seeds into the top of the dough. Roll cracker dough into a rectangle, about 1/8-1/4' thick.
Cutting Tips for Sesame Seed Crackers
- Use a pizza wheel to cut your sesame crackers. A pizza wheel makes cutting crackers incredibly easy and quick. Run the pizza wheel vertically and horizontally for square or rectangle-shaped crackers.
- If you want fancy crackers, use cookie cutters for desired shapes.
Did You Know?
Sesame seeds offer minerals and fiber, which makes them a good choice from a nutritional standpoint. The tiny seeds are also believed to lower cholesterol.
Baking Tips for Homemade Sesame Crackers
- Use two cookie sheets, double-panning to avoid over-cooked cracker bottoms.
- Place sesame crackers on cookie pans and bake at 325-350 degrees, 10-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and lift crackers from the pan (so they don't continue cooking).
Sesame Crackers With Butter
Serving Suggestions for Sesame Crackers
- Serve with soup or stew
- Pack into lunches
- A nutritious snack when hiking or camping
- Why not try these crackers with a dip for special occasions
- Serve sesame crackers with cheese
- If you are hosting an afternoon tea, why include homemade sesame crackers as part of the menu
- Tuck sesame crackers into a gift basket along with an assortment of jams and cheeses
I've included the videos below, which explain different methods to make sesame crackers.
Are You a Cracker Addict?
If you enjoy the crunchy texture of crackers, now you can make your own homemade sesame crackers anytime you have a hankering for a tasty snack.
* Copyright Athlyn Green (M. Rhodes) No part of this article/photos may be used without author's permission.
More Quick Breads
- How to Make Cheese Fry Bread
Cheese fry bread is crispy and delicious, a different quick bread that's perfect as a party food or for anytime you have a hankering for top-of-the-stove cheese bread.
- How to Make Soft, Thick Tortillas
How to make soft thick homemade tortillas for hearty eating and as a quick bread.
- Vegan Bible Bread-Healthful Whole Grain Food for the...
Make a healthful Vegan bread out of whole grains and oats.
- Oat-Almond Breakfast Bread
A nutritious breakfast bread using ground oats and almonds, a taste and texture that even kids will like.
- Scottish Oatcakes--Traditional Oatcake Recipe
Scottish oatcakes are a favorite in our family. They are a traditional oatcake served hot from the oven with butter and hot syrup. This Hub includes a recipe for Scottish Oatcakes that you can print off.
- Best Ever Biscuits
How do you make the best-ever biscuits? Learn the secrets to making delicious homemade biscuits.